View Poll Results: When log-in asks for E-mail, insead of Username, is this a problem?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 16.67%
  • No

5 83.33%
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation This forum's software is driving LastPass (and its users) -- CRAZY!!

I'm not going back to 'go' to verify if this is repeatable, but I've been trying to log on, intermittently, for two days -- relying on LastPass and wondering why this forum's software is giving all sorts of error messages, warnings that you have used-up so many of your five attempts and so forth.

I have finally gone back to my 15 year-old Password Prompter from PC magazine, to get in, when I saw what was happening:

On the Windows Secrets Lounge, the first field on the log-in screen alternates between Username and E-mail address. When I finally did see Username/Password, I'm not sure what I did to get that ... then, then next time around, I was again seeing E-mail/Password.

LastPass always provides the Username, in the first field. I will leave it to the sysop to look into this and decide what (if anything) to do, but isn't it standard to have Username-Password as the way to get it to most forums?

I will see how this works out, but for now if I really want to get in, it's back-to-the-past with a manual log-in. I don't know how many new members will take the time to go through this ... but I need to use your Sandboxie forum.
    Last edited by BeloSolo; 2013-01-09 at 06:40.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Web pages are not made to work with password managers, it's the other way around - to be effective, password managers need to be able to work with every site its users want to have access to. So, if there are any issues, it's either with LastPass or the way you use it.

Being a very recent user of LastPass (the paid version), I came to appreciate the smart way it handles all websites, allowing you automatic logins or, when that is not possible or does not work as expected, offering a decent set of alternatives, including easy copying of individual login details (username and password).

A tool, any tool, needs to be used according to the specific circumstances where you will need to use it. My evaluation of LastPass allows me to state that its designers were very careful and thorough in the way they designed it and you just need to pick the most suitable way to each individual website. I suggest you review the way you use it here.

I have no issues logging in to the Lounge with LastPass and I have come to appreciate all the smart features it includes. It's a cleverly designed app.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I have no issues logging in to the Lounge with LastPass and I have come to appreciate all the smart features it includes. It's a cleverly designed app.
    Thanks for letting me know LastPass does work with this site. I don't know why it was repeatedly failing, in the way I noted.

I will admit to being impatient to get on, because I very much wanted to post a question in a thread I saw. Now that I am finally logged-in, two days later, I can't find the thread again!!

But that would be off topic here, so if anyone can help on the new post I've made, most appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What was the thread about? Maybe I can help you find it.

Thanks
    By the way I use Last Pass very effectively with the Lounge. I check remember me and it does (Cookie gets set for this). If I clean out all Cookies, Last Pass adds my password and I sigh on again with no problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Last post from BeloSolo moved here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...is-it-possible