Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question 4G wireless or "normal" wireless providors?

Our town has a new wireless ISP utilizing 4G technology. I like their track record, upload & download speeds, etc., but can't find (yet, anyway) opinions from those who've used it. We currently have a "normal" wireless Internet service at home and are OK with it, but the company was bought out and I'm looking around in case the new company falters in service and/or raises prices. Cost per month is comparable.

Anyone else using 4G wireless Internet?
    Mike W.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It seems as though coverage for 4G is not nearly as extensive as 3G. I tend to want more traditional internet service at home as it seems more reliable right now.

Joe

Thanks
    Standard DSL or Cable internet will be faster than 4G, although 4G is pretty fast.

You said that you currently have a normal wireless internet service at home. Are you saying that there is no physical wire running into your house? Because it is rare to not have a wire running into your house for the internet service, unless it is either satellite or cellular internet. For cable or DSL internet, there will be a wire running into your house. And the only way that you will get wireless with either cable or DSL internet is if you have a wireless router; but a wireless router is not required for cable or DSL internet.

The only exception to the above that I have heard of is if the community you live in provides citywide wifi service. But that sort of thing wouldn't be described as "4G", but rather "802.11N" or "802.11G", or something like that. "4G", "3G", and the like refer to cellular internet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We've got a wireless antenna (ISP provided) on our roof pointed to a water tower the ISP uses to connect it's customers. A cable runs from the antenna to a wireless router they provided in our kitchen.
    As for my use of "4G", that is what they advertise. It's a different kind of wireless; doesn't require clear line-of-sight. I wouldn't need an external antenna, for example. For their mid-range service package, I can get 8 MB up/ 2 MB down with a 7 GB monthly usage limit for about $40/mo.
    Mike W.

Thanks
    This is interesting. What is the name of the internet provider, if I may ask?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    SpeedConnect (speedconnect[dot]com)
    Mike W.

Thanks
    I have found that Verizon's Mifi 4G is pretty fast, although not as fast as cable internet (Cox cable). 8 MB up/ 2 MB down should be very good, since you aren't sharing bandwidth with your neighbors (that's what happens on cable internet). And 7GB for $40 is probably a reasonable price. 7GB per month should be sufficient, as long as you don't go crazy with downloading a lot of videos.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!
    Mike W.