2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Music players suddenly skipping

My music players (Foobar and Winamp) have started skipping with significant frequency. This is new, as they rarely did that in the past. The only change I made around the time I first noticed this was that I updated iTunes to the latest version. Iím wondering if that change altered the codec or something that might be responsible.

Iíve tried upping the priority of my player and isolating it to a single processor. Nothing helps. Itís worse when Iím running multiple apps, but itís apparent even when thereís little else open. I have plenty of horsepower and memory.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thx.

Alienware Aurora, Intel(R) Core(Tm) I7, CPU 920 @ 2.67ghz; Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 CPU Current Clock Speed: 2668mhz; 6gb Ddr3 Memory: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64 bit; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, RAM 1024MB; Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio sound card; 4 Core, 8 with hyperthreading.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It may happen if you are streaming off the internet, but should be stable if the source is a local disk. The only time I've had it happen when streaming from disk is on return from screen / keyboard shut down.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No streaming. All music files are local to my hard drive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You need to check for CPU hogging applications. Leave Task Manager up and see what is consuming CPU when the skip occurs.
    Also check Event Viewer for disk errors.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I did that too. I would expect with four processors that skipping would be impossible unless all four CPU's were maxed out. Nothing ever gets above 25% and rarely beyond 10%, yet the skipping is present. As I said, I tried upping the player's priority to # 1 and even isolating it on a process itself; that didn't seem to affect it at all.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Once spent days trying to fix a similar problem. In the end, the best fix was to uninstall the media player then reinstall it.