Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is my router faulty?

Hi Loungers,
    for the past few days, my page loading time was very very slow. I tried the usual to clear Firefox including flushing DNS cache and rebooting my router. I then shutdown my pc & router, moved the ethernet cable to another port on my router, restarted it, waited till it was fully loaded then started my pc. This worked perfectly as I'm now back to normal.
    My Laptop was not affected at anytime. Any suggestions ?
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    R.R.

Is your router a standalone or is it a Router/Modem? If it is a router/modem, or you also shutdown the separate modem, the shutdown may have caused it to fetch a new IP address from your ISP which could be on another server. Thus, the only way to tell if there is a problem with the previously used port on your router would be to change back and see if the problem persists. I know it's a pain in the neck but it's the only way I know to be sure.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I don't think you can draw conclusions from what you did, too many variables. You shut down the computer, could be the computer.
    You should try to change just one variable at a time. Computer or router or router port.

Thanks
    You might try setting Firefox to not automatically detect connection settings. I have IE, and quite often things would slow to a crawl, and then they would be back to normal after a couple of minutes. This was happening continually. When I stopped it from automatically detecting connection settings, things got a lot better.

Here's how you do it in IE8 (Firefox is probably similar): Internet Options / Connections / LAN Settings; uncheck "Automatically detect settings".

Update: Nine days later, the problem hasn't returned; in my case, it seems that stopping IE from automatically detecting connection settings has fixed the problem I was having.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-01-18 at 17:08.

Thanks
    Here's how you do it in IE8 (Firefox is probably similar): Internet Options / Connections / LAN Settings; uncheck "Automatically detect settings".
    Firefox should pick up its LAN settings from Control Panel > Internet Options.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    R.R.

Is your router a standalone or is it a Router/Modem? If it is a router/modem, or you also shutdown the separate modem, the shutdown may have caused it to fetch a new IP address from your ISP which could be on another server. Thus, the only way to tell if there is a problem with the previously used port on your router would be to change back and see if the problem persists. I know it's a pain in the neck but it's the only way I know to be sure.
    My router is a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N Router with Built-in DSL Modem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I don't think you can draw conclusions from what you did, too many variables. You shut down the computer, could be the computer.
    You should try to change just one variable at a time. Computer or router or router port.
    My pc is shutdown after use. Router is on 24/7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You might try setting Firefox to not automatically detect connection settings. I have IE, and quite often things would slow to a crawl, and then they would be back to normal after a couple of minutes. This was happening continually. When I stopped it from automatically detecting connection settings, things got a lot better.

This is the settings accessed from my Laptop, which I said, was not affected.

RR.png

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    My pc is shutdown after use. Router is on 24/7.
    That's really irrelevant in terms of what I was trying to say. You had an issue and you took several different actions to try to solve it - each action corresponding to a variable, in my previous language. If you solved the issue, you wouldn't know which action was responsible for reaching the solution.

When solving a problem that you don't know the causes for, it helps to try to "eliminate" each possible cause, one at a time. So you could simply shutdown the computer and see if it had any effect. If it had no effect, you could then shutdown the router and see if it had any effect. You could then try switching ports... by doing this you would be testing a single cause at a time, to determine if any single individual cause was the problem. After shutting down the pc, the router and switching ports, you have no idea whether it was the pc, the router, the port or the combination of them all and thus you needed to ask the question.

Thanks
    What you said is very true Rui, it seems changing ports did fix my problem, why it did it is what the question is?

Administrator
    Thanks
    As far as I can tell, you can't be sure about that, George, because changing ports wasn't the only thing you did. Any of the changes you did can have been the solution.

Thanks
    I think I can Rui, as I had rebooted the router without changing ports twice.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    What you said is very true Rui, it seems changing ports did fix my problem, why it did it is what the question is?
    I know it's not a satisfactory answer, but there are times in troubleshooting when you're not quite sure what solved the issue, so just count your blessing and move on. There's several story's of strange things that have mysteriously cured a problem that shouldn't have had any effect.

Thanks
    It might have been as simple as a poor connection in the original setup. A common trick when assisting someone over the phone is to ask them to reverse the cable connections. This insures checking the cable connection at both ends.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomek View Post
    I know it's not a satisfactory answer, but there are times in troubleshooting when you're not quite sure what solved the issue, so just count your blessing and move on. There's several story's of strange things that have mysteriously cured a problem that shouldn't have had any effect.
    Very true, Gomek

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    It might have been as simple as a poor connection in the original setup. A common trick when assisting someone over the phone is to ask them to reverse the cable connections. This insures checking the cable connection at both ends.

Jerry
    Yes, but this is not the first time it has happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast