5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to benchmark your portable devices

LANGALIST PLUS

How to benchmark your portable devices

By Fred Langa

As with PCs, making the best use of a portable device requires understanding what the overall system can and can't! do. Performance being an important aspect of using mobile devices, a free, cross-platform benchmarking tool can give some indication of what to expect from smartphones and tablets.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/how-to-benchmark-your-portable-devices/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Highly automated, Browsermark takes just two clicks to start — simply follow the simple on-screen instructions. After a few minutes, Browsermark will display an overall numeric performance score along with top scores for devices using the same OS. (However, on a Microsoft Surface tablet, the comparative scores were from desktops running Windows 8.) Once the benchmark has been run on all your platforms, you’ll probably be surprised by the results. I was!
    The article states that the benchmarking tool is to be run through the browsers, and the Chrome browser was recommended. So Fred, how did you get Chrome to run on a Surface Tablet? It isn't available under Windows 8 RT.
    -- Bob Primak --

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding using Windows apps on portable devices, the answer you gave is incorrect. See: http://portableapps.com It's a whole ecosystem built around the concept of using regular Windows apps on a portable device, like a USB stick or an external hard drive. LibreOffice, GIMP, most of the major web browsers, and all sorts of apps/programs run from an external storage device of some kind. Before I acquired a laptop, I used Portable Apps on a regular basis from both a thumb drive and a USB-powered external hard drive.
    -=> Carroll McAllister <=-

Coming to you "almost live" from Searcy, Arkansas

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Fred said; "That’s why you’re seeing more Android coverage in the LangaList Plus column — and there’s more to come."

What's next? iOS? Should I seek out an Android newsletter for my Windows information?

Bruce