iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Let your PC start the new year right!

TOP STORY

Let your PC start the new year right!

By Fred Langa

A little time spent now on preventive maintenance can save hours of PC troubleshooting later — and provide better computing all year long.
    Use the following steps to give your PC an annual checkup — and ensure it starts 2013 as healthy as possible.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/let-your-pc-start-the-new-year-right (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred wrote:
    "Windows 8: Microsoft’s latest OS tries to be all-things-new, so instead of backup, it calls its archiving system File History. Microsoft provides a Win8-specific how-to (including a video demonstration) on its “How to use File History” page."

That's not true in the sense that it's incomplete. Windows 8's backups are fully recoverable from the Recovery > Open System Restore in the Conrol Panel. I do daily backups and have needed to restore them more than once. I've yet to try the file restore that you reference.

As a side note, creating on-the-fly System Restore Points in Win 8 with a dual boot 8/7 system is not currently possible without a registry hack:
    http://www.eightforums.com/performan...-points-5.html (see PeterSt and Gruc's posts near the bottom)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Fred wrote:
    "Windows 8: Microsoft’s latest OS tries to be all-things-new, so instead of backup, it calls its archiving system File History. Microsoft provides a Win8-specific how-to (including a video demonstration) on its “How to use File History” page."

That's not true in the sense that it's incomplete. Windows 8's backups are fully recoverable from the Recovery > Open System Restore in the Conrol Panel. I do daily backups and have needed to restore them more than once. I've yet to try the file restore that you reference.

As a side note, creating on-the-fly System Restore Points in Win 8 with a dual boot 8/7 system is not currently possible without a registry hack:
    http://www.eightforums.com/performan...-points-5.html (see PeterSt and Gruc's posts near the bottom)
    EDIT: This post is in no way meant to be interpreted as a rant. I am including extra details because the thread referenced in your post is not clear at all about the specific details of the issue(s) encountered by various contributors to that thread. I seek clarification which might apply to my own experience of the exact same issue as at least one of the posts in that thread.

The thread mixes several Windows 8 Restore Point issues together, and I do not like using old Registry changes in new OS versions. At least not without understanding fully what the exact issue is and how the Registry changes are meant to address the issue. (END EDIT)

So that I might solve my own Windows 8 Restore Point issue, could you please list the exact Registry modifications for the following scenario? (And are these changes applied only to Windows 7, to Windows 8, or to both?)

Windows 7 HP 64-bits preinstalled, updated to SP1.
    Windows 8 Pro, 64-bits System Builder, PUL Primary (controls Dual-Boot).
    When booting Windows 7, any and all Windows 8 System Restore Points are wiped out. Windows 8 does not have this effect on Windows 7 in this dual-boot.
    All Windows 8 events which are supposed to create Restore points do so with few exceptions.
    Going into Windows 7 and then returning to Widnows 8, even after doing nothing, wipes out the Windows 8 Restore Points.
    But running a System Image with Macrium Reflect, or doing Full Scans with any AV/AS product will wipe out Restore Points in both OS versions, regardless of the sequence in which they are maintained. (Also a problem in Windows XP 32-bits on a different laptop.)

Question: How do I stop Windows 7 HP from wiping out the Windows 8 Pro Restore Points in this 64-bits dual-boot configuration?

On the fly Restore Points are successfully created in my dual-boot configuration in Windows 8 by most programs and events where this is supposed to happen.

If necessary, this exchange can be moved to a new thread under a more appropriate Lounge heading.

Again, this post is in no way intended as a challenge to your post or the referenced thread.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-01-10 at 19:24.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    On a more general note, all of these maintenance tasks should in my opinion be performed more frequently than just once a year. I am not an especially heavy Windows user, but I do many of these things once a month on my laptops.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My post was really aimed at speaking to an aspect of Fred's column that needs correcting, with a side note added to reference a related issue re system restore points. My link is to a specific page of a thread and highlights specific contributors (note at the top of page 5 that I had gotten the thread going on dual 8/7 issue). No beef that Win 8's new backup/system restore system is confusing and not entirely functional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    My post was really aimed at speaking to an aspect of Fred's column that needs correcting, with a side note added to reference a related issue re system restore points. My link is to a specific page of a thread and highlights specific contributors (note at the top of page 5 that I had gotten the thread going on dual 8/7 issue). No beef that Win 8's new backup/system restore system is confusing and not entirely functional.
    But do we have a Registry change in Windows 7 which could prevent automatic overwriting of Windows 8 System Restore Points in a dual-boot? Or was this issue not resolved in that thread?
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Based on a quick check just now, I'd say no it wasn't resolved with restore points except possibly for system backups. I go into 7 so infrequently that I don't have a recent backup and didn't wait around to do it, but in coming back to 8, I found no on-the-fly restore points, but nearly two weeks of backup created restore points are still available under Control Panel > Recovery.

Thanks
    I don't know this for a fact but I suspect that Windows 7 and Windows 8 use the same file names and locations for System Restore data and that not clearing System Restore points in dual boot could lead to System Restore data corruption.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I don't know this for a fact but I suspect that Windows 7 and Windows 8 use the same file names and locations for System Restore data and that not clearing System Restore points in dual boot could lead to System Restore data corruption.

Jerry
    Very well possible. One further possibility which I cannot confirm is that both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are using a small partition called System in regards to this, and they are writing to the same place in the same System partition. That would be a pretty thorny issue to resolve in a dual-boot, I would think.
    -- Bob Primak --