New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy system restore running for 8 hours

I am running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell desktop Computer. I started a system restore back 3 weeks ago around 9AM this morning and it is still running 8 hours later. I have the blue screen with the Windows XP logo showing. I can hear the hard drive working, but this is way too long for it to be running. I did try shutting down, but power button did not work, so I shut the power strip off. I booted back into safe mode and tried last known configuration and also just safe mode, but computer comes back to the same blue screen with logo. Should I just let it keep running and see what happens by tomorrow, or is there another answer out there you can help me with. I had a problem with Javascript not working right and went back to before my last update to Java in Dec. I also have no known viruses as I ran Malwarebytes on Sunday and it was clean. I am using Avast as my AV and also ran that scan on Sunday.

I do not get a repair computer option under safe mode boot. I am not sure if I have a CD for Xp as the computer is 9 years old and I know I dont have a recovery CD to boot from.

Thanks,
    Bob G

Thanks
    Get yourself back into safemode, this time with command prompt, and attempt to use system restore from there:
    C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    hit the "enter" key.

If the above works, and you are able to logon normally, spend that precious time hunting down your original install disk.
    After nine years a clean install is in order, but make certain that it will be a planned clean install.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-10 at 03:08.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Todays status

Thanks for your reply Clint. I tried that yesterday and after screen displays safe mode it goes right back to the blue screen with the XP logo with no chance to key in a command. I did get into the utility mode today and ran diagnostics on everything on the computer and all tests passed. No problems with memory, hard drive, controllers, etc. I even did a stuck key test on the keyboard. LOL I am totally stumped right now how to solve this. I have had no luck searching the web for any answers either. I guess it might be time to take the hard drive out and have it backed up before I try a clean install of XP. I backed up my documents about 3 months ago, so there is stuff I need to save before I reinstall XP. I did find the reinstallation CD for XP Pro from Dell. It is SP1 so I will have a lot of updating to do if I can get it to work. If anyone has any ideas, no matter how crazy, I would really appreciate the help.

There was even a symptom under diagnostics called Microsoft Blue Screen and it passed all those tests also.

Thanks,
    Bob G
    Last edited by njbob49; 2013-01-10 at 11:11. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    You could let it sit on the logo screen to see if it corrects itself, that is, if you are willing to sacrifice the time.
    Otherwise proceed as you have planned.

When you have everything up and running, disable system restore and get yourself a real recovery regimen that includes
    imaging software with a bootable recovery disk. You might also consider creating a slipstreamed XP SP3 disk with the full XP recovery console.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for a quick reply. I have always felt that there is an answer somewhere on the web as I can not be the first person to have this problem. I was hoping for an error message during the diagnostics to give me something to search for. Everything looks fine in the computer based on the tests I ran this morning. It is just stuck in this loop or whatever you want to call it. I tried plain safe mode, safe mode with command prompt and also last know good configuration and they all go right to the blue screen with the Microsoft XP logo. This has now become a challenge to fix and I am not giving up yet. I love a good challenge. LOL My problem is that I am old school and prefer the desktop to the laptop when I am home. Thanks again for your help. I will post what I did if I find a solution without reinstalling XP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    did you ever compress the HD ?
    you need to uncompress and delete that useless program
    it is dangerous and worthless

compressed hd can make some windoze functions go for hours

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not that I know of. I can hear the CPU working so I am going to let it run and continue looking for a solution that does not entail me reinstalling windows. I am off today and tomorrow so I will keep searching the web for an answer to my problems.

Thanks
    Get yourself a bootdisk for Windows XP and attempt the above system restore command. That would be a good place to start.
    You might also consider downloading and creating a Hiren's boot CD/DVD.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not know if this will mean anything to you in your case, njbob, but I had the same thing of my hard drive cycling and off (in terms of sound) for the longest times in Vista. Turns out, I had left my antivirus go out of date (shame on me). As soon as I purchased a new license, everything was fine and dandy again.
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2013-01-17 at 11:11.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Along the lines of forcing a system restore (only requires that system restore points actually are present and not corrupted), is another boot disc a bit similar to Hirens, called the UBCD4Win. It has a system restore utility on it that will replace the registry with any restore point listed. It requires some components of XP to build the working boot environment but I don't remember if a SP1 disc is sufficient or not. You can check out the website for all the 411. That will definitely work the SR magic if you get it made and run the utility, but as to whether its a problem that is fixed by an older registry is another matter.

Thanks
    Did you try "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"? Install it from XP disk. You can find procedure at M$.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

When you are done with using it at Startup, remove the "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" line from the boot.ini file on the Windows root drive. BE CAREFUL with your edits or it may never boot again!

The boot.ini file is Read Only so uncheck it in Properties first. M$ says to remove the folders created too, but you can leave them. I copied boot.ini to another text file I named boot.int before I removed the line so that I can swap them if I ever need it again.
    Last edited by burger2227; 2013-02-19 at 14:49.