New Lounger
    Thanks

Different Backups for different machines on same media

I use a portable USB hard drive to back up and image my desktop Win7 computer using Windows backup. I am considering also using that same portable hard drive as the backup drive for my Win7 laptop computer. The 32 bit desktop and the 64 bit laptop are not synchronized and would contain different backup files.

I am concerned that Windows backup may not be able to create and to recognize separate backup files for each machine on the same portable hard drive. I do not want to risk the backup file Windows creates for one machine being overwritten by the backup file for the other machine. Can Win7 recognize multiple backups for different machines on one backup drive?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some forum moderator ought to edit out this gentleman's email address from the title, and advise him how dangerous it is to post his email address so openly.
    Dick

Thanks
    As long as you point the backup destination to different folders on your portable hard drive each PC, you should be fine.

Jerry

Thanks
    As long as you name them clearly. The last thing you want to do is restore the wrong image to the wrong hardware.
    I've always had a hard time placing Windows created image backup files into folders, they tend to want to go
    directly on the drive. It's one of the many reasons why I have elected to go with a 3rd party imaging tool, they offer more choices.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    In my case my Ext HD includes multiple Images for 3 separate PCs. I call the various folders My Backups, Wife's Backups, Granddaughter's Backups (yea I know real original, but then I always know which folder is which)

In my case I create a new Image after each patch Tuesday. (In fact I have to do that today for our laptops) I usually keep several different images for each PC)

In my case I also use the same Ext HD to store my Win 8 File History files.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-01-10 at 05:40.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy