Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Contents problem

I have a 900-page document with ten top-level headings and about 100 second-level headings. I have assigned the top level headings to style Heading 1 and Heading 2 for the second level. In the Navigation pane I see exactly what I expect -everything is fine. In the TOC window I set Show Levels = 2. In the TOC Options window I checked Heading 1 as TOC level 1 and Heading 2 as TOC level 2. So far, so good. But when I try to insert a TOC, nothing happens. ??? I would greatly appreciate any help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How are you attempting to generate the TOC? (Which version of Word, BTW?)

Have you ever had a similar problem, or is this the only document in which the TOC doesn't generate as expected?

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Lounger
    Thanks

Partial answer

I found that most of my problem was that many of my tables (no doubt through my own misunderstanding) got to have the style "Heading 2," which is the same style as my actual second-level headings, so lots of extraneous stuff was in the TOC. Changing the layout of my hundreds of tables will take days. My tables all have the same font and size but there are many different formats (one paragraph, several numbered paragraphs, one or two columns, etc.). When I assign a style to the tables such as Normal (or whatever) their format changes so that I have to fix them manually. The ideal answer would be to assign them a (nonexistent?) style that makes no changes whatever to the format of these tables.

Thank you for your reply.

Steve
    Last edited by MrBip; 2013-01-10 at 09:57. Reason: correction, clarity

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note that the levels in a ToC can be collected from ANY style, so if you have more Heading 2s within tables than in the text, you might consider changing the textual H2s to a different style. As well, you can set a paragraph outline level to any style (Format Paragraph dialog) and have ToC build it from the assigned levels: you can't alter the level for the built-in headings, but this does let you build a ToC with >1 style set to the same level. Finally, if your tables are isolated in the text, you could set a bookmark for the body copy and use the \b switch in the TOC field code to build the ToC from content within the bookmarked content only. (Handy if the tables were in an appendix for example.

And there is an easy way if you do decide to correct the situation of having used Heading 2s within tables. Create a new style -- say "TblLevel 2" -- and use Find and Replace to Find "style = Heading 2" and Replace it with "style = TblLevel 2". You won't be able to use Replace All, but if you start at the top and repeatedly press F to skip past one you want to keep or R to replace the current one found, it probably won't take all that much time.

Eric

Lounger
    Thanks
    Erik, Thank you for your helpful reply. I have (finally) got the header 1,2,3 styles straightened out, and the TOC is correct. But I still have a problem: When I write a docx and read it, some of my table formats have been changed (without my "permission"). I don't know why this happens or how to get rid of it.
    Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the style definitions for the affected problem formats: for some obscure reason, MS decided to have "Automatically update" as a default on mny styles. What this means is that if you make a formatting change to something tagged with that style, your format change will be implemented as if you had altered the style definition. The easy fix is to turn the setting off in the Modify Style dialog.

A more esoteric problem comes up by using the default Normal template instead of a custom template. All Word documents will be based on an underlying template, and it will be Normal.dot_ (with _ being x or m) unless you specifically direct it otherwise by creating a new document from a custom template, or adding one to a document (Developer ribbon's Templates area; Document Template button, Templates and Add-ins dialog). Most people don't use custom templates, so Normal typically becomes the repository for all styles -- and Autotext entries, and numbering rules, and table preferences and -- well, you get the picture. This can create a future problem if you open an old document after such underlying settings have changed or evolved over time. If you have a fixed custom template and save it with the document, it will be the same in the future (even through different versions of Word) -- and if you have to revise it or share it with someone, the settings within the Normal template won't mess it up.