Thread: Windows 8 Issue

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Issue

I recently attempted to install a NVIDIA update. I got the error message that the process could not continue because another installation was in progress, which was a surprise to me. I'm new to Windows 8 and I don't know where to look to find out just what is causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rich

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try task manager from taskbar to see what is running
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

rjj418 (2013-01-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that's a start.

Thanks
    Try to do the install immediately after a reboot?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Task Manager look for msiexec running. It could be that something is trying to install and hasn't completed. If a reboot doesn't kill msiexec just kill it in Task Manager.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Task Manager, under processes look for any that start with Nvidia and end the process if found.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjj418 View Post
    I recently attempted to install a NVIDIA update. I got the error message that the process could not continue because another installation was in progress, which was a surprise to me. I'm new to Windows 8 and I don't know where to look to find out just what is causing this.
    Microsoft's own updates (even those from good ol' Windows Update, not to mention the newer Microsoft Update facility) include nVidia updates (and, I think, driver updates for some but likely not all other third-party hardware that the Windows Update system scan detects). I was offered an nVidia update recently as one of the Windows Update options but declined (my philosophy for driver updates generally being that if it ain't broke, don't meddle with it): if you just selected all of the updates offered you probably included this one and may have caught it in the process of being installed when you then attempted to install it manually yourself (if indeed that's what you were doing when you encountered the error message).

Thanks
    Set your Windows Update to notify only, as Bill says, your likely getting an updated driver that is attempting to install itself.
    You could also do nothing and let the process complete. If it is an updated driver that is being installed, you can always uninstall it
    later on once it is completed.
    Continuously attempting to stop an Windows Update may cause more harm than it's worth.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check in the NVIDIA forums sometimes video drivers can be cranky to update. They may recommend booting into safe mode and using a utility to remove the old driver.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The msiexe trick in Task Manager worked like a charm. Thanks to all of your help and responses!