Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I want extra cursors

    Hello. I just realised the other day that many of the cursurs available in Win7 are missing. I researched it, and there were a few alternatives, but nothing that I felt comfortable trying such as third party software and the like. Is there any way to restore or add the cursur icons from XP or extra ones to Win7 without install some bloatware?

    Thanks!

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 212 Times in 180 Posts
    Hi Gomek, have you looked here ?

    RR.png
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

  4. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Nice, but . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Gomek, have you looked here ?

    RR.png
    Thanks, but Windows 7 mouse properties dialog box is different, it doesn't have these options. I could have egg on my face and not looking in the right place, but when I go to control panel, I am able to access the mouse dialog box within Win7 but many of the cursur selections are missing or just not there.

  5. #4
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 212 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomek View Post
    Thanks, but Windows 7 mouse properties dialog box is different, it doesn't have these options. I could have egg on my face and not looking in the right place, but when I go to control panel, I am able to access the mouse dialog box within Win7 but many of the cursur selections are missing or just not there.
    If you look at my pc specs above my signature,,,,,,, it could depend on the theme you use.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

  6. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    824
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    Hi Gomek,

    This is how it looks on my Windows 7 system

    w7cursors.PNG

    I'm pretty certain that RR is using Windows 7 but with a customised UI which may have thrown you.

    ETA RR added his post whilst I was composing this!

  7. #6
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 212 Times in 180 Posts
    I use Windows Classic theme.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

  8. #7
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, it was a bit confusing, being that I changed themes and still wasn't able to access the cursurs that came with XP. I suppose there's no real way to customise the cursurs then without installing a third party app?




    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Hi Gomek,

    This is how it looks on my Windows 7 system

    w7cursors.PNG

    I'm pretty certain that RR is using Windows 7 but with a customised UI which may have thrown you.

    ETA RR added his post whilst I was composing this!

  9. #8
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I tried to change it to that, but still get the same selection of cursurs to choose from as before. Are you running a theme modifier program or some sort?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I use Windows Classic theme.

  10. #9
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 212 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomek View Post
    Are you running a theme modifier program or some sort?
    NO. here are the options on my system.

    Untitled.jpg
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

  11. #10
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    824
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomek View Post
    Yes, it was a bit confusing, being that I changed themes and still wasn't able to access the cursurs that came with XP. I suppose there's no real way to customise the cursurs then without installing a third party app?
    Looks like it unfortunately. I've checked the optional themes that can be downloaded and they don't appear to include different mouse pointers.

    From http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...zation-gallery

    A theme is a combination of pictures, colors, and sounds for personalizing your PC.
    ETA You may find this link of use as it shows how to install pointer schemes without using a 3rd party app.

    http://www.7tutorials.com/top-10-bes...chemes-windows
    Last edited by Browni; 2013-01-10 at 20:25.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

    Gomek (2013-01-10)

  13. #11
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    All right then

    This is quite interesting! You say you're not running any other apps that would enhance the UI which I believe, and your specs are almost the same as mine. Now, what in the world is missing from my system that isn't allowing me to access the cursurs?? This is the real mytery, also we have another person who shows a limited list of cursurs as well. Hmmm. Fred, we need you! haha.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    NO. here are the options on my system.

    Untitled.jpg

  14. #12
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok, I'll check into that, not a big deal, but I do kind of miss the windows animated cursurs, oh well, thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Looks like it unfortunately. I've checked the optional themes that can be downloaded and they don't appear to include different mouse pointers.

    From http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...zation-gallery



    ETA You may find this link of use as it shows how to install pointer schemes without using a 3rd party app.

    http://www.7tutorials.com/top-10-bes...chemes-windows

  15. #13
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I was frustrated with the poor selection of cursors in Win7 but hadn't really explored any other options until a couple of days ago. Windows XP had a cursor theme called Bronze. It was easy on the eyes and was easy to find no matter what was on the screen.
    Throwing caution to the wind, I decided to see if one could simply add the cursors found in the XP cursors folder to the one in Win7 and make them work. Turns out you can! Since my system is dual booted, I did exactly that - copied the entire contents of the cursor folder from one to the other. However, you won't see the imported cursors in the Mouse Properties/Scheme drop-down box. Instead you must select the various cursors listed in the box below then click "Browse". When the folder opens up, all the cursors - including the imported ones - will be listed with their accompanying image. Simply select the one you want and Voila! To avoid the cursors changing whenever you change your wallpaper, theme, etc. you must check the box titled, "Allow cursors to change with themes" (I'm doing this from memory so it might not be worded like that verbatim.)
    Hope this helps to some degree.

    Coach

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Coach Steve For This Useful Post:

    Gomek (2013-01-14)

  17. #14
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Finally! Thank you! I had done that, but didn't see the themes in the drop down list and figured it didn't work, thanks for the tip!






    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    I was frustrated with the poor selection of cursors in Win7 but hadn't really explored any other options until a couple of days ago. Windows XP had a cursor theme called Bronze. It was easy on the eyes and was easy to find no matter what was on the screen.
    Throwing caution to the wind, I decided to see if one could simply add the cursors found in the XP cursors folder to the one in Win7 and make them work. Turns out you can! Since my system is dual booted, I did exactly that - copied the entire contents of the cursor folder from one to the other. However, you won't see the imported cursors in the Mouse Properties/Scheme drop-down box. Instead you must select the various cursors listed in the box below then click "Browse". When the folder opens up, all the cursors - including the imported ones - will be listed with their accompanying image. Simply select the one you want and Voila! To avoid the cursors changing whenever you change your wallpaper, theme, etc. you must check the box titled, "Allow cursors to change with themes" (I'm doing this from memory so it might not be worded like that verbatim.)
    Hope this helps to some degree.

    Coach

  18. #15
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomek View Post
    Finally! Thank you! I had done that, but didn't see the themes in the drop down list and figured it didn't work, thanks for the tip!
    You're very welcome! I need to correct a statement I made in my original reply. The line which states, "...you must check the box titled, "Allow cursors to change with themes" should have read exactly the opposite. "... you must uncheck the box titled, "Allow cursors to change with themes"
    Also, I should note here a tiny glitch I've run into just last night. After restarting my computer, the normal cursor reverts back to the Windows default cursor. None of the rest that I have changed - just the normal one. I've had to restart several times in the process of ridding it of a hardware problem and each time I have had to go back in and change the cursor. Curiously, the others remain customized. Not sure why this is but if I come up with an answer, I'll post it here.

    Regards,

    Coach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •