Star Lounger
    Thanks

Transfer files to a new WLM?

Greetings,
    I got a new Laptop for XMas and I installed Windows Live Mail as the mail handler (WLM 2011). My old Desktop runs with WLM too (version 2009). I created mail accounts for the dozen accounts I use. My old desktop WLM system has grown over the years to include a bunch of 'rules' which direct mail into about 100 different storage folders. I would like to replicate that robust rules-supported storage folder environment in my new laptop. I have been looking at this from 2 options:
    1. recreate only the rules and storage folders.
    2. recreate the rules and storage folders AND move emails from existing storage folders onto the new laptop (the old desktop is starting to misbehave by powering down whenever for reasons unknown to me). I am thinking of using my laptop as a complete replacement for my desktop).

I haven't had much luck trying to recreate anything other than the actual Mail Accounts using any method other than manual entry and I'd rather find a smarter faster way to do this. Any suggestions will be appreciated. My desktop runs Windows XP SP3. My Laptop runs Windows 7, but I intend to upgrade to Win8 soon (when I bought the laptop, I paid $10 for the 'upgrade' to Win8 option... getting ready to chase down how to do that.). Thanks, in advance, for any insight you can provide.

Rob G.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried Windows Easy Transfer?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

I was not aware of Windows Easy Transfer. Thanks so much for what looks like just what I need. I'll get back to y'all after after I fix, or break, something!

Thanks
    You can also use the export function of the email client on the computer your wanting to copy from.
    Export all accounts, contacts, and emails to a USB thumb drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update:
    First, Thank you, Clint, also, for your suggestions. I had attempted the export function numerous times back when I first created the accounts on the new laptop. I was able to export the Account data to a thumb drive, but got error after error trying to export emails. And I don't recall even have the option to export the storage folder hierarchy. Anyway... I gave up on the export approach way back then.

The Windows Easy Transfer certainly seemed like it would be easy. And I suppose, if I had a better handle on my hardware problems, It might have been much easier. As my PCs are all on my LAN, I used that approach first, but the time needed to complete the transfers was too much for my desktop. WET would be telling me it needs 4.5 hrs, then 6.5 hrs, then 10.5 hours, then 1 day 3 hours... Huh? What do I really care how long it takes? Let it run! And then my desktop would lose power... Restart the process over again... only to lose power again. This power weirdness has not been a big issue for me before now. I might notice that, if I left some youtube videos running while I went upstairs for dinner, that my pc would be powered off by the time I got back to it. It never really died on me while I was sitting in front of it using it. There seemed to be a combination of factors involved and one of those was, "I was not 'using' the PC." Well, now that I want the PC to run this WET for hours on end (1 day, 3 hours... really?). Well,now I Have a problem. The only thing that I know of that will shut down a PC is environment issues (running too hot). I recall setting the BIOS to alert me in case of high temperatures, but I am not aware of such an alert happening (but then again, I'm off eating dinner when it dies... what do I really know? Nothing). Well, I took the tower side off and blew out all the dust I could with the manual huff and puff method, and left the side off. I also changed the approach to write to an external USB drive instead of via the LAN. My guess is that it ran for about 7-9 hours before completing in the middle of the night (no power loss, yeah!), moving about 77GB of files.
    I ran WET on the new laptop to read the files in from the Passport drive. That seemed to take only about 5 hrs. No problems with it.
    I started up Windows Live Mail and noticed that the process had created copies of the accounts I had already created. In other words, if there was an account to be transferred from the old desktop, that's what it did, ignoring the fact that there were already accounts by those names (it just added a (2)). I went through my list deleting duplicate accounts. and still ended up with over 16,000 new, unread, emails. Oh joy... It did transfer all the storage folders and historical emails within them (yeah!). So, Now I'm trying to determine what these 16,000+ emails are. Very few seem to be straight up Duplicates. Some I remember reading on my Desktop, but I don't see that they are a dup on my laptop. I also haven't figured out how the email 'Rules' are created/maintained on my laptop. We'll see. For now, everything is on the one new laptop and I'll just have to work my way through the junk and reorganize as best I can. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by RobG; 2013-01-11 at 12:47.

Thanks
    I just tried a trial run and exported my storage folder to an empty and named folder on my desktop. It works well.
    But one MUST have an EMPTY folder to export them to. That also stands true when it comes to importing as well.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-11 at 18:46.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.