Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 question: Heading 6 using same number hierarchy as Heading 5

Hey folks,

I removed the "Hide until used" setting for Heading 6 and modified the Style based on: to that of Heading 5. I then selected a font one point smaller than that of Heading 5.

The problem is that Heading 6 still has the same numbering hierarchy as Heading 5. See below:

1.4.2.1.1 Construction Material (Heading 5)
    (text here)
    1.4.2.1.2 Spec sheet… (Heading 6)
    (text here)

For the application dialog I am writing about, "Spec sheet..." is a button within the "Construction Material" field. Since it's Heading 6, the outline level numbers should read 1.4.2.1.1.1 and not 1.4.2.1.2.

I have looked though all the format options in the Modify Syle dialog, and have tried adjusting various settings, to no effect. Thing is, Heading 5 is based off of Heading 4 (and Heading 4 off of Heading 3, etc.), and has the same settings, yet the outline numbers are adjusted accordingly.

Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try reading this article by Shauna Kelly. It should give you the keys to assist in sorting out your numbering problems.
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It is likely that whoever set up the multilevel list stopped linking number levels to heading styles after heading 5. If your numbering is very simple, you can solve the problem by applying the built-in 1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, 1.1.1 Heading 3... from the list library. How to fix a more customized list depends on what the customizations are. Hopefully, you won't have to start from scratch.
    Pam Caswell