Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Discrepancy between Microsoft and Belarc Windows updates reports

My friend has an HP Compaq dx2200 MT desktop with XP SP3 and it was running very slow so I looked into some maintenance

What stood out is his Microsoft Automatic Updates isn’t working and I just completed umpteen updates for him because he hasn’t been doing them
    --- I tried to set his updates to work automatically but couldn’t
    --- Part of the error message is “Security Center could not change your Automatic Updates settings”
    --- I went online and found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919745 and I’m pretty sure I can follow the instructions when I go back next week

However, I ran Belarc and it reports 10 updates are still needed even though Microsoft Updates report no more updates are needed: high priority or optionals
    --- I’m thinking of accessing the ones identified by Belarc and installing them
    --- Is this a good idea?

Does anyone know why there is such a discrepancy & how to ensure it doesn’t happen in the future?

Thanks
    Have you tried this http://www.gtopala.com/
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using Windows update or Microsoft update? Microsoft update is Windows update enabled to check for updates to Microsoft products other than Windows.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer. Its a good tool to identify missing patches not correctly reported by WU, can help pinpoint WU issues, and link to the missing patches to manually install them if needed.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem fixed. In the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919745 that I had checked out, I followed the instructions and discovered that the automatic updates had been disabled in Services so I set both items to Automatic & Start and that the NoAutoUpdate in the registry was set to 1 so I changed it to 0. Restarted the computer and all missing updates including the ones identified in Belarc just decided to be installed and downloaded.

Joe I was using Windows update & when I tried Microsoft update, the problem was the same. But I always wondered what the difference was between Windows update & Microsoft update and now I know. Thanks for that info.

Roderunner & Chuck, thanks for your recommendations. I have a few other friends who need help on their and I'm going to try your recommendations on theirs

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you go it worked out. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Have you tried this http://www.gtopala.com/
    That's not free anymore, so I am recommending Priiform's Speccy instead.

If this issue occurs when using the built-in Microsoft Updates mechanism in Windows, you can always manually open your browser and go to the Microsoft Updates website to get your updates. Often, just going through this process will track down and fix issues with your built-in MS Updates mechanism.

I just noticed when setting up that link that Windows 8 will not let me do this. So there's something else I don't like about Windows 8.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-01-17 at 18:01.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    If this issue occurs when using the built-in Microsoft Updates mechanism in Windows, you can always manually open your browser and go to the Microsoft Updates website to get your updates. Often, just going through this process will track down and fix issues with your built-in MS Updates mechanism.

I just noticed when setting up that link that Windows 8 will not let me do this. So there's something else I don't like about Windows 8.
    You can't use any Microsoft/Windows Update web site from Windows 7 or Vista either. So how did you find that process would often fix issues with your built-in mechanism?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    You can't use any Microsoft/Windows Update web site from Windows 7 or Vista either. So how did you find that process would often fix issues with your built-in mechanism?

Bruce
    I was able to do this trick with Windows 7 Home Premium a couple of times before SP1. With Windows XP it used to be possible, of course, but on some computers, if you configure things correctly (turn off Automatic Updates for example), it may still be possible to do the trick on Windows Vista and Windows 7 to this day. If not, Microsoft has troubleshooters and Fixits for common Windows Updates issues.

Since the advice to go through the browser seems no longer to be universally possible, I will alter my advice to trying the troubleshooters and the Fixits instead. They should fix most common issues with the mechanism and its Registration. That should avoid any confusion or outright failures in the future.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    That's not free anymore.
    Thanks for the headsup Bob. I haven't used SIW recently but still have a very old version saved. Will try it to see what happens.

Thanks
    Thanks for the headsup Bob. I haven't used SIW recently but still have a very old version saved. Will try it to see what happens.
    The main issue with using the old version of SIW is that it hasn't been updated to deal with Windows 8. Windows 7 users should get good and reliable results.

Being one who prefers utilities which are still free and supported by their vendors, I have switched to Speccy. It offers at least as much info as SIW, and is just as reliable in my experience on three OS versions and two laptops.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Hi Bob, SIW is not in my stored files as previously thought. Will try Speccy next.

Thanks
    Hi Bob, SIW is not in my stored files as previously thought. Will try Speccy next.
    Let us know if Speccy meets your needs -- or doesn't. I've heard mixed reviews from friends.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Let us know if Speccy meets your needs -- or doesn't. I've heard mixed reviews from friends.
    Not really, MBSA gives more info.

Thanks
    Fair enough.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast