Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't know how to back up new computer

Gentleman I need some help and advise and remember please you are dealing with a no nothing novice. I will try not to give to many details because I don't really know what is important and will give you the information you need when asked. I have a new Compaq Presario CQ 43. I have tried to back it up by starting with system image and picked D drive for the backup and gone through the other steps. Start the back up and it makes it through about 40% and stops and says the drive is not NTSF and gives me a command prompt of some letters and numbers not knowing much about this I found the command prompt by using the start box and entering them and pressing enter not knowing what else to do it in turn it tells me it does not recognize the batch file or some such thing which I know nothing about. I have also gone to Control Panel and opened D Drive and a drop down box shows up up with Format on it and another box that says NtFS and other boxes with numbers and such which mean nothing to me so I have used the format and it says it will erase anything on the drive so I have done so I have tried to back up again with still no luck. I have gone back to the search box and put in format and it comes up with the drives with D drive being NTFS. What am i not understanding or doing wrong? do I need to go back and reinstall W7 Home Premium or what? Sorry about being so long winded and thank you very much to all for any help and advice and please keep it simple.
    Phil.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    How much space did the D drive have?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-10)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    rurib what took you so long? Its empty.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Back up

rurib its got 2.40.08GB free of 240.27Gb

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did it have anything before? If you right click it in Windows Explorer, is it stated as being NTFS?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes it had 2 or 3 small pieces that said back up from last September but now they are gone but the problem happened before I took them out the point is tat back up is telling me D drive is NTSF. I don't know what you mean by clicking it in Windows Explorer as I said if I go to control panel and click on D drive the drop down box that shows Format says NTFS is that what you mean?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You mean MediaID.bin? Yes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I meant opening Windows Explorer, which would show you all drives and folders and then right clicking the D drive, but if it is reported as being NTFS elsewhere, that's as good.

I suggest you run a chkdsk /f on the D drive. Do you need help to do it?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-10)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I wold appreciate any help I can get I don't even know what that is or what it means or entails I am a stone cold novice
    Phil.

Thanks
    Phil,

I had problems with the Windows Imaging app as well. Once you finish the chkdsk, you might try something other than the Windows Imaging app.

I switched to a 3rd party Imaging app quite some time ago and never looked back. There are excellent paid and free options. I use Acronis True Image 2013. Many others have chosen the Macrium Reflect app. There are also several others. Take a look through the Maintenance Forum for many discussions about Imaging.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-10)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Click the start button and in the search box imediately above, type cmd and then press simultaneously CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER. Click the yes button, when asked. At the opened window, type: chkdsk d:/f

Let me know if there are any error messages. It may take a bit of time to complete.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-10)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted I been wondering where you were at. I hate to sound non adventurous but I would like to keep it as simple and rudimentary as I can. How do I do this chkdsk if you would be kind enough to explain it to me I would be much appreciative but remember I know nothing so if you can keep it simple please.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Rui has listed the proper command. What I do is type cmd in search. You will see a search list containing among other things cmd. Right click that cmd and choose Run as Administrator (This opens an elevated Command Prompt), then enter the command Rui has specified. There is a space between chkdsk and d:/f

You can also try the Elevated Command Prompt and type: sfc /scannow This check all the Windows System Files and fixes any that are corrupted.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    rurib your post just showed up I will try it. I have done so and it did not give me an opportunity to say yes it just went to the black screen thing which is command prompt I guess and tells me I do not have sufficient privileges and need to run it in elevated mode.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    okay Ted I am at chkdsk d:/f now what do I do press enter or what?
    Phil

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast