New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Create local user administrator account

I can't figure out how to create a local user administrator account. I create the local user, but there is nothing on the menu that i see to change the type of account. Any advice?

Thanks
    If this is a new machine with Windows 8 pre-installed, your account probably is a member of the Administrators group. I'll boot over into Windows 8 and have a look.

---edit (I'm in Windows 8 now)--- You create the account in "Change PC settings", but you need to use Control Panel > User Accounts to change the account type.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-01-10 at 20:57.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Now, on the other hand, I strongly advise against running routinely using an account that is a member of the Administrators group.

My practice is to use a normal account for all normal use, using "Run as administrator" from the right-click menu as the situation might require, and using an Administrators group account only for system maintenance.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtd123 View Post
    I can't figure out how to create a local user administrator account. I create the local user, but there is nothing on the menu that i see to change the type of account. Any advice?
    Please excuse my poor manners...

Welcome to the Lounge!

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much. I have already created a non-admin local user for day to day work. Now i am trying to create an admin local user so i don't have to log on with my Hotmail credentials to an MS account. My goal is to recreate the setup i use on my Win 7 machine. G

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtd123 View Post
    Thanks very much. I have already created a non-admin local user for day to day work. Now i am trying to create an admin local user so i don't have to log on with my Hotmail credentials to an MS account. My goal is to recreate the setup i use on my Win 7 machine. G
    You should be able to find plenty of good info here in that vein, and if you don't see something that you're looking for, just ask.

Unleash Windows