5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows Explorer problem.

I have a folder with a large number of images in it. This folder was created in Lightroom and is used by Lightroom as part of its image database. When I open the folder in Lightroom, everything works okay. Often, I create a new "copy/version" of an image within the folder for some different task. For example, if I need to post the image on the web, it has to be jpg image and there are size limitations, so I put the original through a "conversion" process that creates a new image file that is a jpg, or sometimes a tif file (required for different purposes). The jpg can then be uploaded and posted on a web site. To do this, I have to exit out of Lightroom and find the file using Windows Explorer (WE) and then upload to the web site. Also, if I want to take the image to a commercial printer, then this has to be done using a USB thumb drive. The printer requires either a jpg or a tif file, again requiring the use of WE to find the file in the folder and then copy it to a thumb drive. The problem comes when I try to access the file using WE - this activity hangs the whole computer. It is only this one folder that is giving me problems.

I thought I had a solution - replace the folder with a recent backup and see if this works. I did this - got rid of the old folder and uploaded a replacement from a backup made only 2 days ago. Seemed to work - images appeared in Lightroom, but, again, when I tried to view the folder using WE, it hungup the whole computer. This is the ONLY folder that behaves this way. So I am at a bit of a loss to figure out what is going on here. I do not believe that Lightroom is the culprit because the first time I did this after the restoration of the backup, I did not do any processing in Lightroom - simply started it up, accessed the folder and then closed Lightroom. I then tried to access the same folder in WE and again - hang up - and I mean hangup - clock did not work, CTRL-ALT-DEL did not work to look at the task master. The only thing to do to get my computer back was to shut it off at the power source, let it stop for 10-15 seconds and then turn it back on. It would boot okay, but if I tried to access the folder, even without running Lightroom first, I go the same hangup. Any ideas, thoughts, advice, insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which version of Windows?

Is that folder set to display thumbnails?

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 - 64 bit.

The folder is not set to display thumbnails.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have any network shares or devices defined that are not available when you open WE?

Do you have Windows 7 SP1 installed?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you have any network shares or devices defined that are not available when you open WE?

Do you have Windows 7 SP1 installed?

Joe
    No network shares or other devices defined that are not available when WE is open - to my knowledge there are none - it is a simple(?) stand-alone desktop setup.

Windows 7 SP1 is installed.

Ron M

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One other thing... If you delete the folder again and then restore again from the back-up , then without starting Lightroom, will WE open the folder? That might show if Lightroom was in some way corrupting the folder.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    One other thing... If you delete the folder again and then restore again from the back-up , then without starting Lightroom, will WE open the folder? That might show if Lightroom was in some way corrupting the folder.
    I did try this a couple of times and WE could not open the folder. So did LR corrupt it originally and left the "corruption" behind - hard to say. What I did do, at the suggestion of someone on a LR Forum, was to delete all the previews that LR creates and remake them. This seems to have resolved the problem, so maybe LR did something initially to create a screwed up file that WE did not like and did not know what to do with, so it hung up. It would appear that his "remake" seems to have resolved the problem in WE.

Ron M

mart44
    A few points occur. I don't know if they would really be the cause of the problem though.

How big is the folder? There shouldn't be a size limit for all practical purposes but if it's very large, then it might take a long time to open and possibly hang in the process. Temporarily taking a good number images out of the folder would be a test for that.

Could it be that the folder is being scanned by a security program each time it is accessed via Windows Explorer? A lot of images with a large file size might take a long time to scan if that was happening.

Have you tried adding the folder to the Pictures Library and opening photos from there? It perhaps shouldn't make a difference in theory but all things are worth a try.