New Lounger
    Thanks

IF THEN ELSE - Multiple IF statments in 1 go - WORD 2000

Hi

Im currently creating a mail merge letter

{IF {MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}="P""{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBER"\*MERGEFORMAT}" "" {IF {MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}="L""{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMLIQUID"\*MERGEFORMAT}" "" {IF {MERGEFIELD"BLACKLIST"}="Y""{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBLACK"\*MERGEFORMAT}" ""}}}

I merged the IF's because the mail merge was doing the first IF fine then producing the second and Third IF no matter what the outcome.

I originally had:

{IF {MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}="P""{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBER"\*MERGEFORMAT}" ""}
    {IF {MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}="L""{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMLIQUID"\*MERGEFORMAT}" ""}
    {IF {MERGEFIELD"BLACKLIST"}="Y""{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBLACK"\*MERGEFORMAT}" ""}

And this didn't work.

Any advice would be helpful as its meant to bring back BLANK if none of the conditions are met.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm not conversant in Word 2000 mail merge, but the IF statements don't look right to me. I would expect a comma or other separator to delimit the statement steps.
    Something like:
    {IF {MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}="P","{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBER"\*MERGEFORMAT}",""}

Using this format you should be able to merge the IF statements much as you have, but with the delimiters in place.

If the statements are correct then I suspect you need to use the IF statements in place of the blank field ("").
    Something like:
    {IF {MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}="P" "{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBER"\*MERGEFORMAT}" {IF {MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}="L" "{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMLIQUID"\*MERGEFORMAT}" {IF {MERGEFIELD"BLACKLIST"}="Y" "{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBLACK"\*MERGEFORMAT}" ""}}}

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Rossybear: your field codes are missing some required spaces, the filenames are missing their extensions and you don't need the '\*MERGEFORMAT' switches. For example:
    {IF{MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}= "P" "{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBER.DOC"}"}
    {IF{MERGEFIELD"BERREASON"}= "L" "{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMLIQUID.DOC"}"}
    {IF{MERGEFIELD"BLACKLIST"}= "Y" "{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\SAMBLACK.DOC"}"}

If you nest the fields, the second option will only be evaluated if the first option is negative and the third option will only be evaluated if the first and second options are both negative.

Paul T: Word IF fields don't use comma separators.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]