Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Weird Trackpad Problem

My friend just bought a new HP ProBook, model No.4540S, running Windows 7 Pro with all updates installed. There is a strange problem with the trackpad, namely when manoeuvring with it with her right hand it is very difficult, sometimes impossible, to get the cursor to the desired position. Working with the left hand the cursor moves as expected. How can she sort this out so that the cursor responds normally when using her right hand?

The only other problem she has is that when she tries to close windows they very often don't respond.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    There is a strange problem with the trackpad, namely when manoeuvring with it with her right hand it is very difficult, sometimes impossible, to get the cursor to the desired position. Working with the left hand the cursor moves as expected. How can she sort this out so that the cursor responds normally when using her right hand?

Thanks and regards, Roy
    This could have something to do with where the other fingers/thumb of the hand are when a finger is using the trackpad. Using the other hand would naturally put the un-used fingers in a different position/orientation.

I've found on my Dell Latitude E5420 that the left-click and right-click buttons immediately below the trackpad are touch sensitive (although there's nothing mentioned anywhere that I've searched that says they are supposed to be - they actually move and click). When using the trackpad (I usually use a wireless mouse, but not always) I sometimes get very erratic behavior, and I've tracked it down to having a finger of either hand in contact with one or the other of those click buttons.

I can completely eliminate the erratic behavior by simply not touching the click buttons at all. It may be a static electricity phenomenon in my case, but I've tested it out conclusively, and making certain that I make contact only with the trackpad makes it behave normally in all cases.

That may have nothing at all to do with your friend's circumstance, but it's worth having a look at what those other fingers might be contacting.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Look in Control Panel > Mouse and look through all the track Pad options and disable the ones you don't use. My Elan track pad has a ton of options several of which are enabled by default including tap and multi finger gestures. She should also consider a small wireless laptop mouse and disable the track pad. I found myself frequently brushing the track pad while typing causing the cursor to move when I didn't want it until I got the wireless mouse and set the track pad to disabled whenever an external mouse is connected.

jerry