New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Permissions gone bad - Broken "Search Programs and Files"

I am using Windows 7/64. A RAID controller recently went south, damaging the volume with my user account. With help from the vendor's tech support, I rebuilt the array without erasing, and I restored some damaged data from backups. HOWEVER, chkdsk had a field day, replacing the security information on many files and directories.

I've fixed most of the resulting problems. One still comes up when, from the Start Menu, I use the Search Programs and Files box. Windows finds nothing. When I click See more results, I get an error popup: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I think I could fix this if I knew where to look. But I don't. Anyone?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    I think it's Windows Explorer that does the searching, but you may want to rebuild your search index too. You can do that from Control Panel - Indexing Options.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirb, Thanks for the idea. I fixed this myself after looking at an undamanged Windows installation.

First, using Properties dialogs, I took ownership of the entire directory tree under my user name. Second, I made sure that "Authorized Users" had rights on that tree. Last, I removed the Read Only attribute from files in that tree. After doing all that, the installation seems to be back to normal.

The ownerships, permissions, and attributes had been changed by chkdsk when it repaired the disk.

Roth

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Glad you solved it and thank you for posting the solution.