New Lounger
    Thanks

Automatically share my Outlook 2007 Contacts with my husband's pc

My husband doesn't want to bother updating Contacts in Outlook 2007 so he wants mine. How can I share my Outlook contacts, but not my emails? Can I export by category?

Is there a way to export my contacts to a cloud service like Dropbox or Cubby so they can automatically import themselves into his Outlook pst file? I really want to avoid going near his computer. (Avalanche danger)

Thanks for any help

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

It's very easy to do what you ask. Here are two links that explain it:

1. Export the contacts to a csv file: http://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/1401
    2. Import the contacts from the csv file: http://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/1508

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    You can also use :
    File Import Export
    Export to a File
    Personal Folder File (pst)
    Select only the contacts folder

Save the file on external storage

On your husband's PC, use File Import Export
    Import from another program or file
    Personal Folder File (pst)
    And select the file you saved.

I've had some formatting issues with csv import export. pst file preserve all Outlook formatting.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib and jwitalka (Jerry),

Both directions were very clear. Is there anyway I can set up a batch file to import to my husband's pc? I'm serious about not wanting to go near it. It really is a safety hazard.

If I can set it up so all he has to do is run a program or batch job to do the import, he'll be able to do it himself.

I can use Dropbox or a similar service to get the file on his pc without him having to do anything, but I want to find a way to actually get it imported into his pst file. It would be great to get some ideas on this. I think we all have some relatives who play dumb when is comes to computers and putting away dishes. ;-)

Thanks
    Sorry, I am not aware of any way to automate the process.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    It is possible that you could do it through VBA, so maybe try a google search for code to do it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sync via Gmail?

You could set up a dummy or shared gmail account and both add that to outlook and check/sync contacts. I haven't done it myself but I can't see why it wouldnt work.

Do report back if you get it to work

Thanks
    Why don't you export the contacts, save them onto a CD, then hand him the CD? That way you won't have to go near his computer!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like you could just do the export as above, email it to him or give him the disk, then log into his computer remotely using join.me or teamviewer or logmein, and do the import via remote access. Or is that nearer to his computer than you want to go?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vincenzo For This Useful Post:

Lucy N (2013-01-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Vincenzo, I hadn't considered remote access, I'll give it a try. He likes to take things apart and piles it up really high around his desk. That's why I don't like to go near it.

But if anybody has an automated way, I'll try that, too.

Thanks,
    Lucy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If all you want to do is share Contacts then what has been recommended is fine. Contacts are fairly static. You mentioned someway to automate the update process. There is no direct method unless you are running MS Exchange. My wife and I also share our Outlook Calendars so I found a product that copies Outlook folders for sharing. Its called OfficeCalendar.com by Lookout Software. It builds a folder in the Outlook nav pane of the shared PC and sends updates of Outlook folders to the shared PCs. I use it to also sync to my notebook Outlook.