Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Can't refresh Windows 8

I was having some odd Printer problems and wanted to try a Refresh of Windows 8. Unfortunately I can't get it to work.

If I try a Refresh from Windows 8 it asks me for my DVD, it copies some files and then restarts. The Refresh stays at 0%, the machine re-boots, and I get a message on the screen saying that the refresh failed. When I click on the link for more information I get nothing.

So I tried the Refresh booting from my Windows 8 DVD. Then I get the error message, "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

I have no clue why my C: drive might be locked on a clean boot from the DVD.
    Last edited by bill; 2013-01-13 at 03:06. Reason: typo

Thanks
    The DVD Repair may not work because the basic system is corrupt. Pop the DVD in and choose Install.

The refresh will uninstall all the apps you installed. Because the Refresh will not work, this seems to indicate a more basic system problem. In light of this, I would start over and do a Custom (Clean) install with a format as part of the install. On the screen after you choose Custom Install, you will see a link to Advanced (Disk) Options. Click on this. On the next screen, highlight your Win 8 installation and choose Format. After the Format completes the installation will continue.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a random thought: I know next to nothing about UEFI, but if your BIOS supports it could it be 'protecting' you in some undesired manner?

Another: Some laptops use a hard drive whose firmware can be set to require a password before deigning to boot up, and I've occasionally encountered one which will start doing so apparently on its own.

Edit: And a third - did you by any chance just shut down Win 8 before trying to boot from DVD rather than perform a restart to boot from DVD? If the former, the DVD refresh might have balked because it saw that the hibernation file contained an active copy of the Win 8 state to restart with (yes, it should have been able to ascertain that this was just the normal 'fast restart' content rather than an active user session and simply trashed it, but who knows?).

Good luck, in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The refresh will uninstall all the apps you installed.
    Thanks - I had missed that little detail (well, Microsoft says that apps which you got from the Windows Store and those which came pre-installed will be reinstalled, but that's not of much interest to me). Looks as if there's still no particularly attractive option between a repair install and a reinstall-from-scratch.
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-01-12 at 20:26.

Thanks
    Initially I thought that Refresh just reinstalled the System files, but that is indeed incorrect. Refresh uninstalls all the desktop apps you have added (provides a list of those apps so you know what has to be reinstalled). The advantage I suppose is that it does keep user files and customizations in place, including the Win 8 Style apps. As you say though, I also do not use too many of those yet, just a couple of games.

In this case, since Refresh does not work, this would seem to me to be a basic problem that would require a Custom Install to fix. It is one of those strange problems which usually go hand in hand with Upgrades. The majority of upgrade installations go off without a hitch, and hence we never hear from those. The strange problems are the ones we hear of and those quite often need a Custom Install to fix.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Refresh uninstalls all the desktop apps you have added (provides a list of those apps so you know what has to be reinstalled).
    Unless you've used recimg -CreateImage C:\RefreshImage

Refreshing your PC to a state you define, including desktop apps

We know that many of you like to first configure your PC just the way you like it, by installing favorite desktop apps or removing apps that came with the PC, and then create an image of the hard drive before you start using the PC. This way, when you need to start over, you can just restore the image and you won’t have to reinstall the apps from scratch.
    With this in mind, we’ve made it possible for you to establish your own baseline image via a command-line tool (recimg.exe). So when you get a Windows 8 PC, you will be able to do the following:
    1. Go through the Windows first-run experience to configure basic settings.
    2. Install your favorite desktop apps (or uninstall things you don’t want).
    3. Configure the machine exactly as you would like it.
    4. Use recimg.exe to capture and set your custom image of the system.
    After you’ve created the custom image, whenever you refresh your PC, not only will you be able to keep your personal data, settings, and Metro style apps, but you can restore all the desktop apps in your custom image as well.

MSDN Blogs > Building Windows 8 > Refresh and reset your PC

Bruce

Thanks
    Bill, what is the status on things for you, now?

Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Because the Refresh will not work, this seems to indicate a more basic system problem. In light of this, I would start over and do a Custom (Clean) install with a format as part of the install.
    That's a possibility. This was an upgrade from Windows 7 and may have inherited some problems. However, I have too much work I need to do on this system this weekend, so a clean install will need to wait a bit. I was hoping that a Refresh would be a quicker solution that would leave my programs in place and refresh the OS.

The refresh will uninstall all the apps you installed.

We're talking Windows 8 Metro Apps here right? Not installed desktop programs. I don't use the Metro apps at all. I wouldn't want to have to reinstall all of my programs in a Refresh. Otherwise a clean install would be a better use of my time.

Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post
    Just a random thought: I know next to nothing about UEFI, but if your BIOS supports it could it be 'protecting' you in some undesired manner?
    Interesting idea. I checked my BIOS and tried turning on and off the BIOS password. I didn't see anything else that might affect the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post
    And a third - did you by any chance just shut down Win 8 before trying to boot from DVD rather than perform a restart to boot from DVD? If the former, the DVD refresh might have balked because it saw that the hibernation file contained an active copy of the Win 8 state to restart with

I thought of that initially. I spent a bunch of time rebooting into the refresh environment both with and without the DVD. The result was the same. The C: Drive is still locked and Refresh is failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Bill, what is the status on things for you, now?
    I have Macrium Reflect images of my earlier system. I can revert to them, but I still can't Refresh after restoring images.

Thanks
    Bill,

In the BIOS what is your boot order?
    Should be:
    1. Optical Drive
    2. HDD
    3. Windows Boot Mgr

No, apps as in applications, programs... only your data is kept.

> cmd, run as Admin. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    Hit ENTER

Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Hit ENTER

And reboot

Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-01-13 at 03:46.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    We're talking Windows 8 Metro Apps here right? Not installed desktop programs. I don't use the Metro apps at all. I wouldn't want to have to reinstall all of my programs in a Refresh. Otherwise a clean install would be a better use of my time.
    Bill, No I'm talking about your installed desktop apps.

From the Building Win 8 Blog: Refresh and Reset:

An excerpt from the article:

"Restoring your apps: We preserve only Metro style apps when customers refresh their PCs, and require desktop apps that do not come with the PC to be reinstalled manually. We do this for two reasons. First, in many cases there is a single desktop app that is causing the problems that lead to a need to perform this sort of maintenance, but identifying this root cause is not usually possible. And second, we do not want to inadvertently reinstall “bad” apps that were installed unintentionally or that hitched a ride on something good but left no trace of how they were installed."
    In your case there is something wrong deep down in Windows that was most likely caused during the Upgrade Installation. If you can live with the PC this weekend as is, then do the Custom Install afterward, that my be your solution.

Unless you've used recimg -CreateImage C:\RefreshImage

Refreshing your PC to a state you define, including desktop apps

We know that many of you like to first configure your PC just the way you like it, by installing favorite desktop apps or removing apps that came with the PC, and then create an image of the hard drive before you start using the PC. This way, when you need to start over, you can just restore the image and you won’t have to reinstall the apps from scratch.
    With this in mind, we’ve made it possible for you to establish your own baseline image via a command-line tool (recimg.exe). So when you get a Windows 8 PC, you will be able to do the following:
    1. Go through the Windows first-run experience to configure basic settings.
    2. Install your favorite desktop apps (or uninstall things you don’t want).
    3. Configure the machine exactly as you would like it.
    4. Use recimg.exe to capture and set your custom image of the system.
    After you’ve created the custom image, whenever you refresh your PC, not only will you be able to keep your personal data, settings, and Metro style apps, but you can restore all the desktop apps in your custom image as well.

MSDN Blogs > Building Windows 8 > Refresh and reset your PC
    Unfortunately, in the OP's case, I do not think this is the case. This would have had to be done prior to problems. In his case it appears his problems started with the Upgrade Install so the System Restore using recimg is would not have helped. For future use, it is a possibility, but since he uses Macrium Reflect, IMO that is a better alternative. For those looking for alternatives to Imaging, this could be a distinct possibility.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-01-13 at 05:22.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I spent a bunch of time rebooting into the refresh environment both with and without the DVD. The result was the same. The C: Drive is still locked and Refresh is failing.
    Hmmm. If you were indeed rebooting using 'restart' rather than 'shut down' (followed by what used to be a 'hard boot') then it shouldn't be any kind of hibernation issue.

I Googled "c drive is locked" and got a lot of hits, but most of the early ones did not sound like what you're experiencing - save for one which mentioned that Win 7 (vide your comment about inheriting something) locked the root of C: against user modification. Might Win 8's refresh mechanisms not expect this?
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-01-13 at 09:04.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have recently used TrueCrypt to encrypt my data and backup drives. I have chosen the whole disk encryption method.
    Did you ever use Bitlocker on this C: drive in Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise? Because there's a known issue there:

You cannot unlock a BitLocker-encrypted drive after you upgrade to Windows 8 (MS Fix It)

I was having some odd Printer problems and wanted to try a Refresh of Windows 8. Unfortunately I can't get it to work.
    If you created a custom image, refresh may not be much use for printer problems:

Known issue
    Symptoms
    After you refresh a Windows 8-based computer by using a custom image, a printer might no longer function. When this issue occurs, the printer still appears in the Devices and Printer item in Control Panel. However, you experience one of the following symptoms:
    • You cannot use the printer.
    • When you try to set the printer as the default printer, an error occurs.
    • When you try to open the Printer Properties dialog box, an error occurs.
    Cause
    This issue occurs because some printer settings are out of sync.

Resolution
    To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    1. Open the Devices and Printers item in Control Panel.
    2. Right-click the printer that has the issues, and then click Remove device.
    3. Click Add a printer to reinstall the printer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748351

So even after a Refresh with a custom image, you may end up having to remove and reinstall a printer; so perhaps that could be a quicker route in the first place?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-01-13 at 10:35.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow A full wipe and re-install was necessary

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. I was on the road for a while and didn't have access to this PC.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Did you ever use Bitlocker on this C: drive in Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise? Because there's a known issue there:

You cannot unlock a BitLocker-encrypted drive after you upgrade to Windows 8 (MS Fix It)
    Good catch. However, I never used TrueCrypt, BitLocler or other full disk encryption on this particular drive as I need to be able to reboot this system remotely and still have my remote access software be able to access it. My discussion of whole disk encryption in the other thread was where I was encrypting data drives and backup drives, not the OS.

I finally found the time and took the initial advice in this thread. I bit the bullet and wiped the drive and re-installed everything from scratch.

I had wanted to do a clean install initially, rather than upgrading from Windows 7, but early copies of Windows 8 apparently weren't able to do clean installs. You had to upgrade from Windows 7 or Vista. I'm still guessing that cruft from my earlier version of Windows was to blame for this issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've fixed this issue on three different systems now. It's dead simple, but the issue is with the Windows 8 reinstall disk. It WILL NOT WORK. Trust me, I followed 20 different threads on various forums recommending repartitioning, linux mounting, and reformatting. The answer is a Win7 or Vista install disk. Boot to it, and follow the prompts like you are going to install that OS. Trust me, it won't work. You'll get an error message saying the installation currently on the drive is damaged and needs to be repaired. Just hit OK. Within seconds it will tell you it has to reboot. Pull out the disk, and VIOLA!!! It will boot good as new.

This seems to be a major issue on Dell systems, especially when booting from an mSATA drive. All three were Dell's, and all three were using the older BIOS to boot. Not sure if that was the issue, but all of them had issues after attaching a USB drive.
    I

14. The Following User Says Thank You to drodge For This Useful Post:

bill (2013-09-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This particular machine was not a Dell. It was a custom built Frankenstein machine assembled from various vendors' parts.

However, I wish I had tried a Win7 or Vista disk back before I started over from scratch.