Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

What a surprise Synch.

Hello.
    Yesterday, I was fooling around on my Toshiba laptop, I changed some Personalisation ( Control Panel ), did not like what I picked and tried to get out of High Contrast, I could not. I then did a Restore to the very morning, it would not complete. More on this later.

The surprise was when I got back across the room to my Acer desktop, it had ADOPTED the Toshiba selection ! ! ! Are these machines now "talking" to one another ? I had not touched the Acer at all except to wake it up from Sleep. On the Acer again, I tried a restore, again it would not complete. I had a clone from yesterday so I am back in operation.

I have a feeling that the Updates KB2750149 and 42614 are the cause of this ??? They pertain to .Net 4.5 am I right or not ?

I did not obviously, select to Synch both machines and I was not even aware that they would if at all.

Nothing to add on the " More on this later ", I have not turned the Toshiba on as yet today and will be cautious to not have them running at the same time if this Synch is indeed running.

5 minutes later. Having a look at Personalisation again, I now see a Sync theme. See .jpg.

Sync.jpg

How do I stop this Synching ? . Computors are fun ! Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-01-12 at 10:48. Reason: Added .jpg.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi JP,

If you use a Microsoft Account, those settings are synced between machines. I actually find the concept interesting.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, good morning. You are fast on the draw ! Yes, it could be interesting if needed. I do not want it. If I am stuck with it, which is the Master machine ? Which one will get Synced or control the Sync ? JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    No master, machine, AFAIK, last to change wins?

You can disable syncing on the Charms bar, Change PC settings, Sync your Settings.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to the start screen search and type in Synch you settings and it should be in the settings search result. There you can set each individual setting or just turn it off for that system. Also, using a local account would keep them from syncing as well.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN & Rui, all done. I did not do this Synch, I never went to that page before. Can anybody tell me if these new updates were the culprit ? I have now removed the last two pertaining to .Net 4.5. A large thankyou to both of you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Synching - I like

With computers at home and at the computer club, I like having the same choices for my wallpaper.

Rich

Thanks
    JP, I first noticed this when I installed Win 8 Pro on our PCs. Both had the Win 8 Ent. Eval. edition installed previously, with a MS account associated with them.

When I did the installation both my wife's and my information was auto filled for me from my MS account. This actually saved me quite a bit of time.

On another note, today I sent several pictures to my sister-in-law through WLM. I realized the system would create a photo album because I did not specify to attach as single photos. When I sent the email, the pictures were published to my Sky Drive system in the cloud. Now my sister-in-law just opens the email quickly and there will be a link to open the photo album. She can then just view the album or download the photos.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2013-01-12)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Ted. Yes, I can see the benefit of Synch, but why push it down my throat ? It sprung up on me, totally unexpected and as I was fooling on the Toshiba, it was reflected on the Acer. Not my cup of tea.
    I am not here to complain, I learned from this and will be "On guard" hence.
    As it took place after I let WU do the .Net 4.5, did I jump to conclusion in thinking that it was an under-hand way to be forced into this W-8 capability ?
    Thanks for your understanding and fine explanation. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rich, if you read my post to Ted, you will notice that I can see this as a positive app in its place. The fact that it was forced on me, burns me up. I hate having changes done to my machines sans my consent. Not knowing what actually took place, I was really at a loss to correct it. I knew what went on re: the Toshiba, my doing.
    I was really surmised to see that on the desktop too, therefore my negative impression.

Administrator
    Thanks
    JP,

Sorry to say it, your decision to remove updates has no technical grounds. This is Windows 8 default behavior for those who use Microsoft accounts (as I do) and it has nothing to do with updates, much less .net updates. You are actually increasing the risks to your systems by doing removing .net security updates.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Not my cup of hot cocoa either JP, I want esthetically pleasing individually identified systems, not boring replication.

I would also say pretty confidently that it had nothing to do with the updates.

Thanks
    JP, just follow the instructions F.U.N. has left in post #5. This should solve that problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hi, Ted. Yes, I can see the benefit of Synch, but why push it down my throat ?
    I suspect that question actually has an answer, and that the answer is that Microsoft believes (likely correctly) that it is in its own interest to tie users to it (and to the proprietary infrastructure which it provides) as closely as it can.

Hence, this new default behavior (which it actively promotes by pushing login via Microsoft account rather than by 'local' account during set-up). Hence, the push toward the 'modern' UI and tethered Microsoft Store apps. By contrast, the new default 'fast startup' behavior (which can provide interesting and unexpected surprises if you change the machine's hardware configuration while it's supposedly 'shut down') just seems like a poorly-executed (or perhaps just poorly explained) but legitimate attempt to improve the user experience.

Edit: Such opportunistic corporate behavior is nothing new, nothing specific to Microsoft, and not even particularly evil - corporations, after all, are charged with maximizing profit in whatever legal ways are available to them, and if they can find ways to do this without alienating their customers to the point where it becomes counter-productive more power to them. I remember trying to convince DEC in the mid-80s that they should embrace the PC phenomenon and take steps to make VAX the preferred back-end platform for corporate PC desktops, the idea being that providing proprietary advantages in back-end data management would help lock in a significant market in which their presence was not currently noteworthy.
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-01-12 at 14:15.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui & FUN, I agree. I was looking for an escape in removing these updates. I was tilling at windmills ( Rui ). I will go back and re-install them.
    I still do not know why all of a sudden Sync got going here that is why I presume that the .Net 4.5 might be the agent. I will get back after doing the updates.

And windmills they were. I have them now installed and no Sync took place. Very strange that all this time that I have been running W-8, that both these machines were not ON at the same time. Oh, well, such is life. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-01-12 at 15:58. Reason: Correction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast