3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Motherboard drivers: so many, which ones to choose?

Ah, so much reading, researching, and learning. ...And so I return with the hopes of some help in discerning which drivers behoove me to install/not install. Here is the list of all available drivers for my MSI Z77A G45 Thunderbolt board (from http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G...r&os=Win7%2064

Intel Management Engine Driver
    Intel USB3.0 Driver
    Intel Chipset Driver.
    Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers
    Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
    Intel Smart Connect Technology Driver
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
    Intel Rapid Start Technology Driver
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for 7x series
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology Floppy Driver for 7x series
    Intel VGA Driver.
    Lucid Virtu MVP Driver

Okay, I gather I need/must install the chipset, USB, ethernet drivers, and most likely the Intel Management Driver?
    Looks like it's a good idea to install the VGA and Lucid Virtu MVP drivers, as my understanding is they can work in tandem with a discrete graphics card for certain intensive tasks (eg. video editing applications).
    Should I install the Realtek Audio, even though I look to disable the onboard audio in favor of another audio solution?
    Somehow, I don't see why I would need the floppy driver?
    And then there are all those other Intel drivers of which I am really uncertain-- does Windows have their own and if so, are they preferred?

Oh my I've downloaded them already, extracted, and started reading the readme files. Glad I did, with what I'm learning. For example, One of the drivers at least is ill advised to install from a USB source. And I gather the chipset drivers are the first thing to install.

Much appreciate your guidance with this!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    yeah, I'd avoid the MB audio drivers too if you have purchased a card to install.
    Check back with device manager frequently too.
    Try to get the most updated drivers from the manufacturer's site as opposed to WU.
    Remember, on a new board you'll need the latest BIOS update above and beyond everything else.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you kindly for your help, CLiNT.

Yes, as stated above, I had already downloaded and extracted the files from the MSI site. That's how I got to access the readme files.
    Part of that is not just the latest drivers, but to avoid if possible, installing the MSI Live Update utility.
    I like that hot tip about the device manager.
    Good to hear I can refrain from the onboard audio drivers.
    Okay, so the Intel drivers are preferred to any possible Windows solutions. Question is though still, which ones do I need/don't need.
    Interesting... MSI explains how to flash BIOS, but the method is still a bit unclear to me. If I do that, it seems like I might be better served to do so through the Live Update utility, and maybe uninstall it after deed is done. But MSI makes it a little scary about doing so. They seem rather emphatic in their quote, "WARNING!!!!!

DON'T FLASH WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS RUNNING FINE!!!!

DON'T FLASH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!

http://www.msi.com/service/biosupdate/

And might you know, the current BIOS is an updated version of the one I presently have.

Thanks
    The don't flash rule doesn't apply to brand new boards your planning on doing a build on.
    Read your motherboard's manual carefully when it comes to BIOS flashing. The procedure is usually straight forward.

If your BIOS is already uptodate that's good, it's usually the exception if that is the case.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-13 at 03:53.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    The don't flash rule doesn't apply to brand new boards your planning on doing a build on.
    Read your motherboard's manual carefully when it comes to BIOS flashing. The procedure is usually straight forward.

If your BIOS is already uptodate that's good, it's usually the exception if that is the case.
    Glad I brought you along, CLiNT. Thanks for the insight. Actually, the website offers a better and more clear account than the manual. At first what I thought was maybe a two part process appears to be two methods (at the previously posted link above). The first method is DOS based, and terminates with a C: prompt, and I would not know how to escape that prompt to continue forward? The second method involves an MFlash from a bootable USB device. Now, to do this right and successfully, do all I need to do is fromat a thumb drive to FAT 32, or is there something more I should know, please?

Also, if anyone could so kindly tell me about the Intel drivers, I'm still confused about those. They seem even more intimidating than the BIOS flash, because in some of the folders, there are several setup exe.'s. I gather that a big part of those drivers has to do with RAID configuration, and I do not believe it would behoove me to set up RAID on my computer, even though I have multiple drives. But then I see a lot about AHCI... and my head is spinning. Thanks!

Thanks
    Also, if anyone could so kindly tell me about the Intel drivers, I'm still confused about those.
    That means you need to take some time and read through all the literature that came with your motherboard.
    Make a determination about what features you are going to use and what you are not.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That means you need to take some time and read through all the literature that came with your motherboard.
    Make a determination about what features you are going to use and what you are not.
    CLiNT my friend, I cannot help my lack of technical savvy, but I certainly am not lazy about reading and researching before posting. Let's see if I can reclarify about my difficulties. As stated above, I downloaded, dissected, and studied the release note regarding the above Intel drivers. I even Googled as to identify the meaning of those drivers. Now I gather I want the Intel Management Engine driver if I want to make use of the "Command Center" OC feature of the board. But the others... Remember I said (this would pertain to Rapid Storage) that they seem to be centered for those setting up RAID which I expressed I don't necessarily need. But those same drivers also talk about AHCI, so I wonder if they are advantageous for the drives I do have and configuring SATA 6, 3, etc. Moreover, at least one of those drivers has multiple setup.exe's, so which do I click and in what order? Since I've been on this board, I've discovered all too quickly that one cannot be too cautious about missing the need to knows. You guys have astounded me so many times with insights.

*** Oh, and the manual is rather sparse about explaining some things. It seems to imply these are the kinds of things one would want to do with their "Live Update" utility.
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2013-01-14 at 22:04. Reason: supply further info

Thanks
    My 2¢ worth ...

Recently I upgraded my system with an Intel SSD as the boot drive, and wanted to make sure that my three year old MSI 785GM-E65 (MS-7596) motherboard's BIOS was current, as there had been five updates to the BIOS since the motherboard was installed.

To begin with, I could not get the MSI Live Update utility to work, no matter how many times I tried.

After a lot of searching, I found this post in an MSI support forum. There's an incredible amount of verbiage in the thread, as well as in the linked User Guide, but the bottom line is that the flashing tool worked like a charm.
    Jim

Thanks
    yeah, I'd avoid the MB audio drivers too if you have purchased a card to install.
    Check back with device manager frequently too.
    Try to get the most updated drivers from the manufacturer's site as opposed to WU.
    Remember, on a new board you'll need the latest BIOS update above and beyond everything else.
    I have one exception to the above: If you absolutely can't get your internal NIC to work, no matter which driver you install, I would install another NIC, then I would run Windows Update and let it find the correct NIC driver for my internal NIC. I have used this method many times when I couldn't get the NIC to work any other way, and it has worked every time.