Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE gone.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

IE gone.

Hello. Just got back from my Sis-in-law home. Her machine would not use IE. It would use Windows Live though. How can one redo IE when it can not connect ? I ended up doing a restore and got the machine back in operation. Could not connect on WU either. This for further reference as all is now fine. Thanks. JP.

Thanks
    JP,

What version of IE? I suppose if it were an Upgrade from say IE 8 to IE 9, you could uninstall the later version, which would rule you back to the earlier version, then reinstall the later version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    JP,

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are saying. Plus I'm a bit confused @ the mention of Windows Live (whatever you're meaning by that) & IE in the same sentence. What OS is her machine using? You can get IE9 here, if she is using Windows 7 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=13950

Here you can get IE10 (or 9) for Windows 7. http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/in...s/Default.html

If it's XP, here you can get IE8 http://ie8.msn.com/microsoft/interne...en-us/ie8.aspx

W/ what info you have given maybe some of this will help you or her.

If it's Windows 8, IE10 is part of & embedded in the OS. And if, as you put it, IE is "gone", repairing the OS would bring it back.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-01-13 at 16:13.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew & Ted, thanks.
    I had no clew as to what version of IE it was, I could not get to it at all. This app missing, I could not go to Microsoft at all to D/L anything. The machine was connected as it used Windows Live, that is all.
    Drew, I will save these link to a USB key. I wonder if these links that you provided are to connect to MS to get any version of IE. If this is the case, it would not do any good as the machine could not connect to that site at all. If I can D/L the whole IE on a key, then it would be a cinch to install it from the key. I did not really notice but I think that she is on Vista.
    Now, with the Restore to 1 week before, the machine is running. I had run Malware on it . . . nothing detected.

Drew, you do not know about Windows Live ? I do not use it either but she had it on her machine and it connected. As far as : "And if, as you put it, IE is "gone", repairing the OS would bring it back." My next move would have been to use the redo partition on the HD, those are neck saver !

Ted, she might have done something to some settings, she is the ultimate newbie.
    Let us not loose any sleep over this now, all said and done. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

I, certainly, know of Windows Live just couldn't quite see the 'relationship' being made between it & IE. For Vista it would be IE9 (originally IE8). Yes, those links are from MS and can be downloaded to a HDD, or USB or other media as installer files. IE9 for Vista is the same as for Windows 7. My repair reference was if it was Windows 8 (& IE10).

Anyway, good the Restore solved it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Drew.
    >>> I, certainly, know of Windows Live just couldn't quite see the 'relationship' being made between it & IE. <<<
    The 'relationship' between IE that would not connect and Windows Live was that this latter would connect. Very strange as I am sure that both might use the same process.
    I have saved the link for the D/L to a .doc and will get her to IE 9 in the near future. As always, thanks a mega. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Your very welcome, as always, Jean. & no, one could work & not the other. WL & the browser activity/behavior are 2 separate things. The browser can have its own issue, while WL functions would be fine. They do both use the Net but...

GL w/ the links I gave you & getting IE to her.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, good morning.
    The IE bug has come back. I did scan for malware and nothing showed up. I restored to a working condition but this morning, the inability of IE to connect is again present. I have the install of IE 9 on a key, I will do it on Sunday. In the mean time, what is your opinion of this "fishing" call and this bug that comes at the same time ? I have read on the offer to provide $100.00 to cure any problem on a machine, might this be related ? Do you have a simple way to get rid of it ?

I will also investigate the redo of this machine from the provided partition on her HD after hitting F8, I think ! The machine is an HP, no model number at hand.

Be good. JP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello. Just got back from my Sis-in-law home. Her machine would not use IE. It would use Windows Live though. How can one redo IE when it can not connect ? I ended up doing a restore and got the machine back in operation. Could not connect on WU either. This for further reference as all is now fine. Thanks. JP.
    Download a copy of Firefox, Google Chrome, or some other browser to a flash drive, then install it from there onto the problem computer. Hopefully you'll be able to surf the web with the other browser. That's what I had to do recently on a friend's computer. He was unable to get on certain web sites using IE. The most puzzling were the "map" websites (Mapquest, Yahoo maps, etc). He also couldn't get onto the Firefox website; that's why I had to install Firefox from a CD onto his computer. But once I got it on, he was able to go to any website using Firefox.

I never could solve the problem; and since he didn't have anything on the computer he needed to save, I simply did a factory restore. I then made sure to put A/V software on his computer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Jim.
    I do not think that going other than IE would solve her problem. That browser works fine when reset. Please do not forget that she is 84 and not inclined to learn new procedures very quickly. I am able to ferret out the problem here and will complete the task tomorrow, evading the issue is not the required solution. IE is centuries ahead of FF or Chrome, in my eye. JP.

Thanks
    Hi, Jim.
    I do not think that going other than IE would solve her problem. That browser works fine when reset. Please do not forget that she is 84 and not inclined to learn new procedures very quickly. I am able to ferret out the problem here and will complete the task tomorrow, evading the issue is not the required solution. IE is centuries ahead of FF or Chrome, in my eye. JP.
    Did you say that you "reset" IE, and that resolved the problem? What exactly did you do to reset it?

I believe you said that you reinstalled IE.

BTW, I agree with you about IE vs FF or Chrome. IE is my preferred browser. But in the case I described, I used Firefox as a workaround, and it worked, which indicated to me that the problem was with IE. (Or perhaps it was with Windows, because since around IE 4, IE has been hard-coded into Windows.)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, I think Jean meant re-install as I very recently had given him the links to DL IE to be able to then (re)install it on her machine.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Or perhaps it was with Windows, because since around IE 4, IE has been hard-coded into Windows
    Not sure what you mean by hard coded into Windows but the Microsoft Anti-Trust suit broke that up. In fact, in Europe I believe you can get Windows without IE.
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...rnet-explorer/

Jerry

Thanks
    I'm surprised nobody has picked up on this little snippet
    In the mean time, what is your opinion of this "fishing" call and this bug that comes at the same time ? I have read on the offer to provide $100.00 to cure any problem on a machine, might this be related ? Do you have a simple way to get rid of it ?
    That is a surefire sign of malware being on the PC.

Perhaps if you can give some more details on that particular screen somebody may be able to help with removal instructions or perhaps a reinstall from the recovery partition may be a quicker solution.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What operating system is on the PC?

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast