4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2010 Yields Massive Files

I am a teacher. I keep my grades in an Excel worksheet. For years and years, that spreadsheet ended the semester at about 500K. Last semester, they "upgraded" me from Excel XP to Excel 2010. Ugh! Anyway, the semester has just started and the file is up to 20MB! (I have to save it in compatible mode to use XP at home.) Any idea why Excel 2010 is making it so large and how to get a handle on it?

I tried opening it in Excel XP and resaving and that reduced it to 15MB but no more. There is nothing in the file right now that should make it anywhere near that large.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Thanks
    If you delete all the data and save it as a copy, what is the file size? Do you have any pictures in it?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are no pictures in the file. It has student names, ID information, and grades. It is a template I have used since 1998. Prior to Excel 2010, the largest the file ever grew to was 1MB. Naturally, the more students I had and the more classes I taught, the larger it got. The average size for 1998-2011 was about 300K.

Last semester, it grew to 13.6MB when I started using Excel 2010 and this semester I has grown to 15.5MB and I have just entered all the names and ID information, no grades yet. I use a standard template and nothing has changed other than using Excel 2010 rather than Excel XP.

I tried saving it in the native Excel 2010 format and it dropped down to 1.6MP as an XLSM file but I don't know if the reduction was due the change in file format itself or the compression built into the XLSM file type. I then closed out Excel, reopened Excel and the XLSM file and saved it as an Excel XP XLS file. That trimmed only a couple of bytes off the file, not enough to make any difference.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Thanks
    If you delete all the data and save it as a copy, how big is it? Can you post it on a file sharing site like skydrive, dropbox or other for us to look at (after removing the data)?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Size

I clicked on the top left corner of each tab and hit delete. That deleted the contents but not the formatting. The resulting file was 11.9MB. I am trying to remove the names to upload it but Excel has started crashing each time I save the file. (I had to estimate the 11.9MB from the recovery file Excel created.)

Clearly, the file has become corrupted and I am going to have to rebuild it from scratch. Ugh! That is a problem but it is not the cause of this problem as I have two prior semesters with this same issue. Once I get the file rebuilt, I will upload a version with the names and student ID's removed.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Thanks
    Try saving as an HTML, then opening the HTML in EXCEL. This may eliminate some of the corruption

Another option is to copy the contents (not the worksheet) of each sheet and paste the values (not the formatting). Afterwards you would have to reformat, but that is easier than recreating everything

Steve

Thanks
    Perhaps repairing the spreadsheet with an Excel Spreadsheet Repair Tool might save you some headaches. Should work in 2010.
    http://www.fileguru.com/apps/excel_2007_repair_tool

HTH,
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2013-01-14 at 21:41.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Ronny

Perhaps it's the formatting that is causing the problem.
    In Excel2010 try saving the file in binary .xlsb format.
    This may reduce the file size from 11.9MB such that it can be posted here for a quick check.

zeddy