Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't access backup

Following Fred's comments in the latest newsletter about starting the new year right by giving your computer an annual checkup, I first made a backup by creating a system image on an external hard drive (1 of 2) I use for occasional image backups. My problem now is that if I wanted to restore that image, my computer does not recognize this latest backup.

Windows Explorer shows the backup (on my external hard drive) in a folder titled "WindowsImageBackup". The subfolder is titled "OurComputer", and it has 3 subfolders – "Backup 2013-01-12 011149", "Catalog" and "SPPMetadataCache". However, the only backup the computer will recognize is one I made last year, listed under an item with a computer icon (not a folder) labeled "OURCOMPUTER".

Any one have an idea how I resolve this issue? The image backup is worthless if I can't restore it.

Thanks
    This is one reason why most of us have gone to a 3rd party Imaging app.

Whenever I wish to Restore an Image using Acronis True Image 2013, I insert the Acronis Rescue Disk I created, connect my ext HD and boot to the Rescue Disk, which loads Acronis True Image 2013. I then choose which Image to Restore and proceed.

I always had problems with the Windows Imaging app.

There are several excellent 3rd party apps that have been mentioned many times in these forums. The problem might be that you are attempting to access an Image from within Windows. I do not believe it will work this way. Either insert you installation media or a Rescue Disk you made for Win 7 and choose Repair My PC. There is an option to restore to an Image you previously created.

If you still cannot see the Image you recently created you might be out of luck.

This also brings up another point. The 3rd party Imaging apps allow you to store as many Images as your Ext HD will hole. I create a new Image after each patch Tuesday so my Image is always up to date. I restore Images quite a bit (I "play" with my OS a lot and need to restore a lot) and have NEVER been let down by a 3rd party app. My Images are always very Up To Date as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I remember correctly, windows creates that folder the first time you backup and then stores subsequent backups to it without changing the date. Go to system restore>show more restore points and see what shows up there.

Rich

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    If I remember correctly, windows creates that folder the first time you backup and then stores subsequent backups to it without changing the date. Go to system restore>show more restore points and see what shows up there.

Rich
    I don't think an image backup will show up in restore points as it completely different than a restore point.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clive,
    I know for a fact it does under win8, I just can't remember if it did under win7. I'm also sure all images go into the first file created without a date change.

Rich

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    Clive,
    I know for a fact it does under win8, I just can't remember if it did under win7. I'm also sure all images go into the first file created without a date change.

Rich
    System Restore in Windows 8 does not contain image backup points.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,
    I just opened system restore and it does show all of my system images created through the windows native imaging program. They are listed as backup and I would have to connect my ext hd to restore them but the dates of each image is listed. These are only the images I created using Windows imaging and not the ones using easeus. They give me a point of reference for at least my os created images.

Rich

Thanks
    Did you access System Restore via Windows key + w > Restore > Create a Restore point > System Restore? Just trying to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Accessed system restore through both control panel>recovery and system properties>system restore. System restore does not contain images on the os, but it does list the date of every time I created an image to my ext hd through windows native imaging. This is even after other restore points disappear due to dual booting. I would need to connect the ext. drive to restore them. Images I create using easeus do not show.

Rich

Thanks
    That really surprises me. Couldn't verify that personally as I have never created a Windows 8 image since I use Acronis for that purpose. Since System Restore points and imaging are separate tasks, I found it hard to believe images would show up in System Restore.

Does it have separate lists for Restore Points and images or are they in one list? Can you post a screen grab of the display? I'm really curious as to what it looks like but don't want to create a Window 8 image to see it.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Capture.PNG

Jerry,
    Don,t know if this will work. Not sure how to insert screen captures.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now I know.

Thanks
    Thanks for the capture. The image items look to me like a System Restore point taken prior to a image bakup, not a pointer to the image backup itself. Selecting one will do a System Restore not an Image Restoe.

Jerry

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by lodidad1 View Post
    Windows Explorer shows the backup (on my external hard drive) in a folder titled "WindowsImageBackup". The subfolder is titled "OurComputer", and it has 3 subfolders – "Backup 2013-01-12 011149", "Catalog" and "SPPMetadataCache". However, the only backup the computer will recognize is one I made last year, listed under an item with a computer icon (not a folder) labeled "OURCOMPUTER".
    Since the folder is named 'WindowsImageBackup', the restoration procedure should find and use it. The one with an icon that you describe won't be an image but would be a backup of files. The image you need will certainly be in the WindowsImageBackup folder. How are you trying to restore the image? If starting from within Windows, the procedure would be to:

* Go to 'Backup and Restore' in the Control Panel.
    * Click 'Recover system settings on your computer'.
    * Click 'Advanced recovery methods'.
    * Select 'Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer'.
    * Skip 'Back up now' if you have manually backed up files created since the image was made.
    * Click 'Restart'.
    * The computer will close down and then boot into the Recovery dialogue boxes.
    * Choose to search for an image.
    * This is when the image located within the WindowsBackupImage folder on the external drive should be found.
    * If it is found, continue through the prompts to use it for restoring.

If you have created a System Repair disk, it should also be possible to go to the WindowsImageBackup folder when booting up from that.

Before starting, don't forget to back up any files you have created since the image was made or they will be overwritten.

Please others, don't use this as an opportunity to bash Windows imaging again (which I still use with Windows 8). I'm just trying to help the OP with the situation as it exists. Also, I'm working somewhat from memory because of being on Windows 8 now. The procedure for using the included disk imaging function is a bit different with this.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiry. I've been busy experimenting based on a number of your replies. After reading all these comments, I checked and found to my surprise that my listing of system restore points did include a lot of "System Image Restore Points" and the one I was concerned about was listed there. I figured that was the answer to my problem. I used that restore point to restore my computer. I became suspicious when the restore took far less time than the backup and none of my desktop items had changed.

Since then I have found some things for certain. The system image backups listed in system restore points are as Jerry noted - not a pointer to the image backup. That was verified when I followed Mat44's suggestion in the above post (#14). Using those directions, I was able to restore my system from the image I previously couldn't access.

As I have the Acronis True Image Home 2011 program also on my computer, which has supposed to have been automatically backing up my partitions and E-Mail, I thought I'd make a System Image (or its Acronis equivalent) of my system and save it to the same drive I used for the Windows backup. Then I thought I would compare a restore from that program. When I initiated the backup, the Acronis program didn't seem to be doing anything. After a fair amount of time, I closed out of the program. Then I opened it again and found to my surprise that the backup had "successfully completed". I tried to restore the image from the Acronis Main Screen which gives you the option to "Recover last version". That did not work as I got an error message that the selected volume could not be unlocked, along with an error code that didn't have an explanation when I clicked on a link that was supposed to provide one. I may have to try a restore the way Medico spelled out in the the first response - post #2 - or uninstall and re-install Acronis and try my experiment again

I'll keep you posted as I go along

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast