Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please help me find Windows Movie Maker

I'm running XP Pro with SP3. It's my understanding (from the Windows download site) that Movie Maker for XP comes bundled with SP2, and can't be had as a standalone program. Since I'm running SP3 (which I believe includes everything in SP2), I should already have this program on my computer, but I can't find it.
    Any help finding or obtaining it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Additional information:

Apparently, I do have Movie Maker installed on my computer. At least, I have the folder, and the program opens when I click the executable. I initially couldn't find it with Windows Search because I had not properly configured Search, and I had no Start Menu shortcut for it.

However, Movie Maker does not appear in the Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs" app. Why is that?
    Last edited by LesF; 2013-01-14 at 03:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Did you search for Windows Movie Maker in the installed apps?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Movie Maker was/is part of XP, it was not split into an installable/uninstallable component until Windows Live Essentials.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, I guess I don't know what you mean by search in the installed apps. I found it after modifying the search parameters under "More advanced options". My choices were "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders", and "Search subfolders". I had only selected the first option, and couldn't find the executable file, but after selecting the other two options as well, I was able to find it. However, I don't really think it's an "installed" app, since it doesn't appear in the Control Panel under "Add or Remove Programs". Is this a problem? The program seems to open correctly (I haven't used it yet) when I click on the executable.

F.U.N., after doing a web search, I was able to download MM26_ENU.msi (which I believe is the installation application for Movie Maker) from the Microsoft download site. I'm thinking that I should remove the Movie Maker folder currently on my hard drive (I can't uninstall it, since it's apparently not actually installed), and "properly" install it from the .msi app that I downloaded. Does that sound like a reasonable way to proceed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think FUN is right, Movie Maker is part of Windows and you cannot uninstall it.

MM26_ENU.msi is for Windows Vista and requires a pre-existing version: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=34

Most likely the installation will fail.

If you have it running, why should you change it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, Windows Media Player is also a Windows component, but it's shown in "Add or remove programs" under "currently installed programs" and also under "Add/Remove Windows Components", so I would have expected Movie Maker to show under one of those headings if it was properly installed. Am I wrong about this? This is more about understanding what's happening than actually using the program.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You are wrong about that. Clearly Windows Media and Movie Maker are different in that respect.
    I have checked my XP Mode and the behavior is exactly as you described, so it's not a problem with your installation, that's just the way XP was meant to be, by Microsoft.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, ruirib, I guess everything's OK then.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I made a test movie with Movie Maker, and this generated a couple of question. If you feel that this now needs to be moved to another forum, please let me know.

What I was trying to do was import a number of JPEG photos, and make a movie from them (i.e., basically a slide show). I have a group of edited JPEGs from a recent trip, taken with a good camera and extremely sharp. When I imported the photos into Movie Maker, some of them needed to be rotated 90 degrees (I don't know why - all of the originals were "right side up)", and they had lost their sharpness (i.e., they looked out of focus). Is there something in Movie Maker that coverts the images to lower quality, and how can I sharpen them?

I was able to save the movie and play it, but the pictures looked awful.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Some image viewing programs have an automatic orientation setting that will flip the veiw 90 degrees one way or the other for proper display, while WMM has no such setting, it just takes the images as they are, so I think whatever you were viewing them with is correcting the view on some.

The cause of the second problem is probably two-fold. One, the conversion process between hi definition photo to a much lower definition video format is knocking a lot of quality out and second, upscaling a 720x480 photo video back to native screen resolution results in more perceived quality loss.
    The only way to preserve much more of the quality of a high pixel count photo is to produce a much higher HD resolution video and I don't remember what resolutions XP's WMM has, but it probably doesn't extend past 1024x768.

Thanks
    You might find, that using "Power Point" to incorporate those JPG's into a "Presentation" might be more correct.
    A string of JPG's would not constitute a "Movie".

I'm sure you've had someone send you a Power Point presentation with pictures in a slide show with music in the background.

Good Luck!
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DrWho, thanks for your input. What I'm trying to accomplish is to incorporate a bunch of photos (perhaps from a trip I've taken) into a slide show, with audio accompanyment and a choice of photo display time and fade options between photos, and then burn this to a video DVD so that it can be played on a home TV as a movie (including a start menu). I suppose this can be done using Power Point, but I'm not particularly conversant with the program (although I have used it), so I hadn't thought of using it.

I have, however, through suggestions and experimentation, found a method that works for me, all using freeware.

To create the initial slide show, I use Boland's Slideshow Creator. This allows me to compile the slideshow, adding audio (which I haven't tried yet), and any effects I might want (mainly a selection of segue effects between the slides), and save it in a format of my choice (for my tests, I chose AVI). The program also maintains picture orientation and quality, something Windows Movie Maker doesn't.

To format the AVI slideshow into a movie and burn it to a DVD, I used DVD Flick. Although I haven't mastered the program yet (it has many features, and a not so simple user interface), I was able to create a movie from my slideshow that worked well with my DVD player and TV.

My next step is to read through the guides for these programs and learn their capabilities.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I hope this information can help someone else.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Been a while since a used this program; but, it's still available from Microsoft (XP validation req'd). Small footprint and may do basically what u want..... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=11132

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I've downloaded the program, but haven't decided whether to install it yet. I'll probably wait until what I have in place fails me, then try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast