New Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless printer problem

I have run into a printing problem that I have been unable to resolve. The printer is a Canon i9900 on an xp computer. I wanted to be able to print from 2 win 7 64bit computers (a laptop and desktop). I set them up the same way, identical drivers, etc. After adding the local printer and giving the network address \\computername\printername both computers were able to print the test page. When I did a restart of the laptop the printing was still okay, however on the desktop it would no longer print. I could see the document in the spooler waiting to be printed. Removing the printer and then readding it as before allowed me to print, but once again on rebooting no printing would occur on the desktop.
    The desktop has been scanned with Malwarebytes and Microsoft security essentials with nothing found. A system file check (sfc /scannow) showed all files were okay. All computer operating systems have been fully updated.

Thanks
    RL.

What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    You don't really have a Wireless printer problem because you don't have a wireless printer. What you are attempting is to print to a shared wired (either USB or Firewire) printer. The problem you are running into is one where a network has both Win 7 and Win XP computers it has nothing to do with any of the computers being connected wirelessly you would have the same problem if they were connected via RJ-45 cables to the router.
    First you don't want to use a Home Group as XP will not work properly with a Home Group.
    The easiest way I know to get this setup to work is to have one account on each machine that has exactly the same Username and Password on all machines, my advice would be to make this the one the XP is using. Then share the printer with all Authicated Users and you're good to go. Note: you don't have to sign into this account on the Win-7 machines the account just has to be there. If this doesn't work there is a Hot-Fix that Microsoft has for the XP machine which is sometimes necessary.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek: Thank you for the quick response. I tried your suggestion and no luck. You suggested that Microsoft has a Hot-Fix that might be needed.
    Where might I find that? Thanks again.

Thanks
    RL,

Here's a Microsoft Article on how to set this up, moer comprehensive than my meager explanation above.
    Here's a similar How-to-Geek Article.
    Here's a link to the Hot-Fix. I'm not sure this will solve this particular problem but it did resolve problems with me seeing XP machines. Note: you only install this on the XP machine.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek;
    Again, thank you very much. Saved a lot of searching at this end. Am sure this is the answer. This forum is a great tool.
    Bob