3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lucid Virtu MVP and video editing

Anyone use this for video editing applications? Is it worthwhile? Or is it pretty much more of a gamer's tool?

Thanks
    When I purchase a board for a build, I avoid built in graphics in favor of a discrete graphics card of my choice.

Lucid Virtu MVP: What it is, and why you’ll want it on your motherboard

The above purports to allow one to switch between built-in the board graphics and add on card based graphics.
    It sounds like an interesting feature in theory, but in the end you'll need to decide if this is useful to you or not.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your input CLiNT. You do not seem to be too impressed or intrigued. You about have me persuaded that it might not be that efficacious. My sense now is that more can go wrong than can go right. So much for alternative SLI/Crossfire solutions, or MUAR right? Perhaps if I could find a robust game that I liked... .

Thanks
    I don't have any experience with that type of setup is all.
    You may want to consider trying it out and letting the rest of us know of your experience with it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I don't have any experience with that type of setup is all.
    You may want to consider trying it out and letting the rest of us know of your experience with it.
    Hmmm... Well, here is the part that initially intrigued me so, taken from Lucid's home page:

http://www.lucidlogix.com/technology...-graphics.html

"On Windows® Virtu dynamically balances the advanced power-efficient, built-in media features of the integrated graphics processor with the high-end, 3D applications, anti-aliasing and performance features of discrete GPUs, while significantly reducing the power drain of traditional entertainment desktops. Ultimately, the consumer is assured optimal simultaneous performance in 3D gaming or professional application and video functions like transcoding and HD playback without the need to swap video cable connections between GPUs."

When I see terms like "3D" or "transcoding" or "HD playback," my eyes come to a halt and pay attention. I kind of like the idea of incorporating the integrated graphics, but then doing so makes me wonder how much that takes away from the CPU's power. That's one thing I dig about my discrete audio solution-- has its own audio processing unit to alleviate the task from the CPU.

Thanks
    With the CPU you have chosen to build with your unlikely to notice.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    With the CPU you have chosen to build with your unlikely to notice.
    Interesting. ... And I'm glad I got that CPU when I did for $249. Price is currently back up to $329.

You know, I finally tracked down a benchmark review at Tom's. If I understand and read correctly, Virtu enables the exploitation of Intel's Media SDK such as to make one's system kick tail in transcoding tasks. This prospect is getting more and more interesting.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rk,3174-5.html