Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

3 Out of 4 Reject Windows 8

Interesting Article:

CES 2013: Industry Source -- More than 3 out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8
    http://www.dailytech.com/CES+2013+In...ticle29639.htm

Discuss among yourselves.

Thanks
    This is what we used to call a troll in Usenet. A post strictly to get people to argue.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2013-01-14)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Far be it from me to jump to Win 8's defense, but this blogger (in both your link and its subsidiary links) does consistently seem to round up (rather than round-to-closest-integer) each negative stat he quotes.

That said, his general thesis agrees with the impressions I've gathered informally: Win 8 adoption is quite lethargic compared with Win 7's, and techies on the whole aren't impressed - mostly because the changes they don't like are so stupid and unnecessary (unless you approve of Microsoft's apparent attempt to herd users to its own advantage rather than compete on product merit) that they overshadow the real improvements that are present.

The more data we receive, the bleaker hopes that Win 8 penetration will turn out to qualify as 'robust' seem to become. While the jury can still legitimately be said to be out, what has been leaking out from its deliberations is not encouraging - unless, to continue the above observation, you're NOT a fan of seeing corporations attempt to lock customers in via manipulation and saturation advertizing rather than product merit.

I definitely fall into that camp: I spent years helping play 'truth squad' against HP's and Intel's "Itanium is inevitably taking over the world: get on board or get run over!" hype (and outright lies) because the manner in which Compaq dumped Alpha (and then tried to claim it was doing so for its customers' benefit) so disgusted me. Microsoft's current shenanigans hardly rise to that level of perfidy, but they contain a sufficient hint of that kind of attitude that I'm not inclined to allow them to pass without some comment.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to - bill For This Useful Post:

cipher (2013-01-15),royalscotty (2013-01-18)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    This is what we used to call a troll in Usenet. A post strictly to get people to argue.

Jerry
    I'm not sure that's entirely fair, Jerry. Even if you'd be inclined to say the same about the many posts by Win 8 boosters citing what at least on first glance appear to be more encouraging data about Win 8's acceptance, in both cases I consider such posts to be more attempts to provide some substantiation for one's own viewpoint than attempts to start arguments (i.e., if arguments then ensue it says more about the intransigence of the arguers than about the motivation of the original poster).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've come to my own conclusions as well, even the fan boys seem to be using it almost entirely as if it were Win 7 SP2, which to me is mighty telling. That reading being that if not being used on a touch device, Windows 8 is ever so much better if used as Win7 SP2...and try to ignore the extra baggage as best as possible.

On a touch device, the story may be entirely different, certainly seems like it would be.

Thanks
    I guess I'm just tired of the Windows 8 is great/Windows 8 is a disaster posts. Neither side is going to change its mind and you can find multiple studies for either viewpoint on the web. No matter how you feel, Windows 8 is going to stay and I would rather see this forum used to solve problems not to jeer or cheer.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post
    this blogger (in both your link and its subsidiary links) does consistently seem to round up (rather than round-to-closest-integer) each negative stat he quotes.
    I still can't figure out how "more than half" became "more than 3 out of 4".

The half is based on one person's perception of what an unknown number of gamers may tend to be doing. Scientific survey? Not exactly.

"For obvious reasons I won't name the particular company I heard this from": The only reason that's obvious to me is that it's a tiny company.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-01-14 at 19:57.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I never bring it up, I'm comfy with my own analysis and don't need a scrap of supporting evidence. You're absolutely right Jerry in that "3 out of 4," "won't mention the company," "obvious then it's a tiny company,"...none of that is even flotsam-worthy to the discussion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I guess I'm just tired of the Windows 8 is great/Windows 8 is a disaster posts. Neither side is going to change its mind and you can find multiple studies for either viewpoint on the web. No matter how you feel, Windows 8 is going to stay and I would rather see this forum used to solve problems not to jeer or cheer.

Jerry
    Stop giving them the fodder they need to survive on by responding to such postings.
    Ignore their threads and eventually they'll die off.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    "obvious then it's a tiny company,"...none of that is even flotsam-worthy to the discussion.
    Er, OK, thanks.

I'll leave you then to your discussion of the evidence you don't need.

Bruce

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I still can't figure out how "more than half" became "more than 3 out of 4".
    I can help with that, because that particular statistic (unknown though its credibility may be) was not one of those whose arithmetical accuracy I was criticizing.

The source stated that more than half the purchasers of its 'enthusiast laptops and desktops' opted for Win 7 over Win 8, and that more than half of the remainder who DID opt for Win 8 were inclined to switch back to Win 7.

That indeed does work out to a thumbs-down for Win 8 from more than 3/4 of the company's 'enthusiast' customers.
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-01-14 at 20:34.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to - bill For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2013-01-14)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Look up the difference between statement and discussion Bruce; and, which do you trust more; that which is raked from unknown sources or that which is right in front of your face (when using W8)? Again, a statement, about where my trust harbors.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "raked from unknown sources": Flotsam. Discuss.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I don't even read such stuff anymore, not that I ever did all that much, really. I like it the articles or rhetoric won't change that. The only thing I'll bother to mention, just from the thread title, is 4 out of 4 of the people I've turned on to or helped them get started w/ Windows 8 like it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

royalscotty (2013-01-18)

Thanks
    I agree with Jerry here. I am also getting tired of the I love/hate this OS threads. There is no good information coming from these threads. I'm also getting tired of being labeled a "fan boy". I'm beginning to take offense to this. I consider myself a person that enjoys giving individuals or groups tips/tricks and answers to solve their problems. Yes I do give my opinion on Win 8, as those that do not like Win 8 give their opinions. Let us have our opinions and we will let you have yours. Please stop with the derogatory labels!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2013-01-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast