New Lounger
    Thanks

How to recover Outlook when it won't load properly?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum....

I found the forum on Google when I was searching for a solution to the problem yesterday.

One of my friends was trying to get her Outlook 2003 to open and it came up with an error message saying that the email file was not closed down properly. Then it goes into a loop and finally showed an error message which told her to run the scanpst.exe routine.

I went and ran the Inbox Repair Tool routine yesterday and when it completed, it gives you the option to "Repair". However, when you click the Repair button the hour glass appears and it just stays there. So I checked the Task Manager and it says the Tool is not responding. So I killed the process.

We then started all over again and ended up with the same result - its not responding.

I checked and her .pst file is over 9GB in size.

Is there anything I can do to try and save her files?
    Are there any other tools that could help?

Would really appreciate your help.....

Best regards

Greg

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    9 GB is a lot. Maybe just let the tool run for longer, as it may take some time to repair such a huge file.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

LaunchPad (2013-01-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Depending on her PC and the disk hardware in particular it could take several minutes just to read a 9GB file much less make a copy of it, check it, repair it, re-write it.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys,

Followed your advice and just let the process run and eventually after 2-3 attempts it actually recovered the damaged files.

I can tell you that she breathed a huge sigh of relief....so thanks again.

Now that Outlook is up and running, what is the best way of dealing with such a big file?
    For instance, she has entries from 2008.

What is the impact, if any, if she transfers the emails from the Inbox to Folders?
    Does it still sit in the .pst file?

Is there a way of cutting up the .pst into smaller chunks?

Appreciate your advice..
    Regards

Greg

Thanks
    Consider using the Outlook "archive" feature to move older mail into an archive file that can grow incrementally whilst leaving the outlook.pst file relatively small. The archive file will be accessible as one of the folders from within Outlook. (See: File, options, advanced settings, auto-archive)

Any folders created within the outlook inbox will simply form part of the greater Outlook.pst file so there will be no saving of its size.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

LaunchPad (2013-01-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have yearly archives, which means one PST file per year. This not only allows the current pst file to stay rather smallish, but the archive files won't be too big either, although this is less relevant. So my advice would be, just as Peter suggested, to use the archive feature, but with care, creating one pst file for each of the years since 2008 and then archive all the 2008 messages to the 2008 archive file and so on.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    Consider using the Outlook "archive" feature to move older mail into an archive file that can grow incrementally whilst leaving the outlook.pst file relatively small. The archive file will be accessible as one of the folders from within Outlook. (See: File, options, advanced settings, auto-archive)

Any folders created within the outlook inbox will simply form part of the greater Outlook.pst file so there will be no saving of its size.
    Hi Pete,

Just to make sure that I understand you - are you saying that once you set up Archive that it will automatically reduce the .pst file size?

Also, once you set up the Archive, will it automatically archive all old emails or are there various settings? (asking because I use gmail and its ages since I personally use Outlook)

What is the best way to handle the folders that she has already set up? (there are piles of emails in those folders)

Is it possible to Archive the Folder content as well?

Thanks...
    Regards

Greg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Archiving frees size but does not recover freed size. You need to compact the .pst file once archiving is completed.

Right now your friend should perform one manual archive per year. This is how it can be done, for Outlook 2003 (as explained here):

Choose File, Archive.
    Select Archive This Folder And All Subfolders

Select the folder you want to archive. If the folder includes subfolders, those folders are archived as well.
    In the Archive Items Older Than drop-down list, specify the latest date from which Outlook should start archiving data. For instance, if you want to archive data older than today’s date, select that date. Otherwise, all your data in the selected folder will not be archived.
    If you have specified that a folder should not be archived automatically but you want to archive this folder now, select the Include Items With “Do Not AutoArchive” Checked check box.
    To change the personal folders file that will store your archive, click Browse and then choose the file and folder where the archive will be stored. You also can type the path and file name in the Archive File box if you know this information.
    Click OK

This should be done for each year, which means two settings need to be change per operation:

i) the archive items older than, so that it matches posts for 2008, 2009, etc.
    ii) the archive file name. She can simply browse and specify a new file name, or just go to the end of the text box where the file name is entered and change just the file name to archive2008.pst, archive2009.pst, etc.

HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib,

That info is going to help us enormously....

Best regards

Greg

New Lounger
    Thanks

Would this process also work for Ms Outlook 2007?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyluck487 View Post
    Would this process also work for Ms Outlook 2007?
    Yes.

Joe