2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File double-click fails

I have a problem with Word 2002. Double-clicking on a .doc file within My Computer or Win Explorer loads Word, but issues a "The document name or path is not valid" error. I then click on "OK" and the document loads. I have checked my default actions under File Folder options and types, etc. but they are fine. It seems to me that double-clicking on a file makes its name and path accurate automatically. I don't know whether this is an Office XP or Win XP issue. I do not have this problem with PowerPoint, Visio or Excel.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File double-click fails

Interesting that you should have this problem, because I suddenly developed a very similar problem on my XP machine running Office XP. And its peculiar to Word, not Excel or anything else. Problem is that when I double-click on a Word doc, Word loads but the document does not. All I get is a blank Word screen, not even with a default blank document loaded. I have to click File>Open> and then select the appropriate file. It was not always so. Happened a few days ago and I have no idea why. Seems arbitrary to me. Anyway, this is a less of a help than a comisseration. Hope there are some clues out there.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    A possibility is that the path contains invalid characters (which may include a space). Try replacing spaces with _ characters, or enclosing the whole path name in " (double quotes).

Rgds

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I saw similar problem on older versions of Windows.
    Open Tools | Folder Options | File Types. Select DOC Microsoft Word Document from Registered File Types drop-down list, then click Advanced button. Highlight OPEN in the Actions window, and click Edit tab. Make sure that command to launch WINWORD.EXE has /dde switch and DDE message has [FileOpen("%1")] part; or, if DDE not used, it is "%1" switch after the command in Application used to perform action box, for example, like this:
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeWinword.exe" "%1"
    (also be sure that there are quotation marks before and after WINWORD path, or there is short form without quotation marks, for example,
    C:PROGRA~1MICROS~4OFFICEWINWORD.EXE "%1"
    ).
    Without "%1" switch you can't open files with long filenames, such as in "My Documents" folder.