3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Custom installation: item selection?

Does Win 7 have a custom install choice, such as in '98 which allows one to select/deselect those items one wants to install or not? And if so, does anyone know of a list somewhere which items are okay to dismiss from installation? Once again,... Thanks!!!

***Now, I realize there is nLite that allegedly helps in this regard, but after I downloaded it, my AVG antivirus begged me to quarantine the application. Or did AVG just register a false positive?
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2013-01-15 at 13:43.

Thanks
    Its been awhile since I've installed Windows 7 but I don't believe you have any choice similar to the ones in Windows 98. After the install completes, you can go to:
    Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on and off to get rid of anything you don't want.

I'm leery of programs like nlite that mess with the guts of Windows.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2013-01-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can use a tool such as RT Se7en Lite to do a customized install. Also, see 5 Free Tools To Customize & Tweak Windows 7 Installation Setup for information about this and four other tools.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2013-01-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I'm leery of programs like nlite that mess with the guts of Windows.

Jerry
    Thank you so much for your help, Jerry. I sure do appreciate your sentiment.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You can use a tool such as RT Se7en Lite to do a customized install. Also, see 5 Free Tools To Customize & Tweak Windows 7 Installation Setup for information about this and four other tools.

Joe
    Woohoo!!! Thank you, Joe! Since you mention it, I discovered that How to Geek http://www.howtogeek.com/124368/how-...rated-updates/ even sports a tutorial, and if they also promote it, there must be something worthwhile there. Looks like a lot is involved to learn how to do it, but machs nichts, I believe it to be all worth the effort. A million thank you's.
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2013-01-15 at 16:14.

Thanks
    I've used nLite in the past to no ill effects. The last time I used it was to make an installation disk for XP rolling SP3 and my SATA drivers into it.

AV's don't like it because of a couple of the tools that it uses, and some that are downloaded in the package of other uses, like a key finder (similar to magic jellybean) and such.

I mess with the guts of Windows to a greater extent than nLite, though.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2013-01-16)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thank you for the insight, Bbearren. I was a bit baffled by why it seemed to enjoy such wide reputation if it were suspect. And silly me, with my brain spinning so much, I temporarily forgot that nLite is for XP.

Thanks
    The latest version of nLite will also work with Windows 7. I believe you will have to download WAIK from MS in order to use it, though.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The latest version of nLite will also work with Windows 7. I believe you will have to download WAIK from MS in order to use it, though.
    Well that's mighty helpful! And that would explain my glitch in thinking as well. Now to decide which option is preferable.

Thanks
    hello,
    it's "vlite" v.1.2 that works on win se7en and you must use a couple of components that are contained in the w.a.i.k. but, it's not the w.a.i.k. for win se7en... instead of d/loading the 1 GB+ sized w.a.i.k. you can simply insert the 2 or 3 needed files into the installed vlite program files before ever starting vlite and be done with it. DUE NOTE, there are some caveats such as, you must remove only certain items, never do the auto install option (it breaks win se7en) and there are a few more. even with the limitations and being rather conservative with what i removed, the last 7x64 install disk i did went down to just over 1 GB in size. the place to learn about this is www.msfn.org - some have even figured out how to reduce the size of the winsxs folder (a major source of bloat)
    i have found that trying the new install on a separate partition is better than trying it in a vm, sometimes you get different results in a vm. all of this is just from my experience... ymmv.

michael clyde
    Last edited by mchldpy; 2013-01-24 at 14:16.
    REMEMBER--- "if you don't play well with others, you could end up playing with yourself."