New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows will not allow Deletion of Account

I have a User Account on my machine that I would like to delete for a variety of reasons. It is an administrator account, but there are other admin accounts on the computer. The trouble is, when I go to delete it, Windows gives me errors and will not allow it to follow through. Furthermore, windows will not even allow it to be changed to a standard user. Here are some pics that may help:

fail1.png

fail2.png

fail3.png

fail4.png

I'll provide any additional information if this is not enough. All help appreciated!

Also, this is Windows Vista Home Premium

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    From the first screen shot it would appear that you are logged on as the user you wish to delete?
    Of course, you can't do this you have to log on as one of the other Administrators or start up in Safe Mode and access the master admin account.

Of course I could be reading that screen wrong, if so you definately want to use the master admin account.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    If RG's suggestion didn't work, if you are logged in as Chase Ramseyer, this account isn't an administrator account and can't delete users.

I didn't notice the built in Administrator account in your list. Is there any chance someone renamed this account to the one you are trying to delete? The built in administrator account can't be deleted.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    From the first screen shot it would appear that you are logged on as the user you wish to delete?
    Of course, you can't do this you have to log on as one of the other Administrators or start up in Safe Mode and access the master admin account.

Of course I could be reading that screen wrong, if so you definately want to use the master admin account.
    If you look at the terminal picture, you'll see that I'm logged in as Holly Ramseyer. The account I'm trying to delete is Abe Ramseyer, sorry I never mentioned that. As for the apparently missing built-in Admin account, the command "net user" still shows that it exists separately from the Abe Ramseyer account.

faill5.jpg

This was not the original admin account, of this I'm sure because at one point the account was a standard user and was promoted to administrator.

EDIT: Something I just noticed when I look back at the first picture I have, the Abe Ramseyer account is not in the group Users and Administrators like the others. Does someone have the command prompt syntax to add users to a localgroup? Maybe that has nothing to do with it, but I'm just looking for possible things...
    Last edited by ButteredPecan; 2013-01-16 at 15:38.

Thanks
    Note that Users is a separate group from administrators.
    I guess I didn't notice you were using a command prompt to delete the user. Try:
    Open window explorer
    Right click on Computer
    Click on Manage
    Expand Local Users and Groups
    click on Users
    right click on the account you are trying to delete
    click on delete

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I did this and the account will still not delete, although I was not in safe mode. I accessed the Administrator account via enabling it in command prompt:
    net user Administrator /active:yes

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I guess I didn't notice you were using a command prompt to delete the user.
    I didn't originally, but I ended up there after trying the standard methods.

Anyway, after I right-click computer and hit manage I'm presented with this screen:

fail6.png

Am I blind or is there not a Local Users and Groups section?
    Last edited by ButteredPecan; 2013-01-16 at 20:06.

Thanks
    Then try:
    Control panel> User Accounts > Manage Another Account
    Click on the Account you want to delete
    Click on Delete the Account

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteredPecan View Post

I didn't originally, but I ended up there after trying the standard methods.
    That was my first method. After hitting delete and choosing to delete the files, it returns to the screen that lets you manage different accounts unchanged with the account still there. Plus, the files remain undeleted.
    Last edited by ButteredPecan; 2013-01-16 at 21:37.

Thanks
    Although it might not work in this circumstance, I have had some success with the 3rd-party successor to the Microsoft XP Resource Kit utility DELPROF, called, without a hint of originality, DELPROF2.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This looks like it could work, but when I run the program and choose yes to delete inactive profiles, it starts deleting multiple accounts and not just the one I want. Is there a way to run this controlled?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Consider the issue solved but unsolved, I ended up re-installing windows on the machine because of frequent computer crashes that I think were related to a virus, but was unable to remove. Thanks for the help you all did give, though.

Thanks
    You may already know this, but make sure you have current malware protection installed on your computer. Sounds like something malicious got onto your computer and caused you the problems you were having.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but I've had this problem for a few months and just got around to asking for help on it. The system crashes were a recent thing :/