Thanks

Desktop PCs: Intel Says the End is Near

Desktop PCs: Intel Says the End is Near.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...21750&Itemid=8

Do you agree??
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The headline is misleading, it should more appropriately read The Enthusiast's Motherboard End it Near. That has always been a small but profitable segment of the market and now the author seems to indicate that margin is shrinking to such a point as to not make it worth Intel's time to specialize there, instead leaving it to other mobo makers to continue offering non-CPU integrated enthusiast options. Intel seems to be serious about moving to the integrated CPU-motherboard option as a mass production cost savings measure, something perfectly acceptable to OEMs but not to the average enthusiast who updates components every few months.

Thanks
    @F.U.N. downtown: Thanks for the clarification. Still, bad news for some, even if they are in the "minority"?
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    Here's a more, IMHO, accurate take on what Intel is doing and it's overall effect.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Just an attempt by Intel to get away form the motherboard market for desktop computers.
    They will continue to make desktop processors as usual.
    This is not a surprise as they are not doing too well in this market anyway, actually never really have.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    The following statement was in the first article:

In reality, the desktop PC platform only still exists because it can delivery graphics performance unavailable elsewhere.
    I strongly disagree with that statement. While graphics performance is certainly one reason people buy desktop PCs, it's not the main reason. The biggest reason for the desktop PC platform is because corporations purchase lots and lots of desktop PCs for their employees.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, the author also mentioned overclocking and was clearly meaning the enthusiast, custom builder's domain and should not have been using desktop PC platform so generically.

Thanks
    The desktop computer will never disappear in favor of such a wimpy portable device like an iPad, or slate, or whatever.

It just goes to prove that the typical consumer never really needed a desktop computer in the first place.
    The traditional issue is that there has never really been a choice up until a few years ago.

To surf the internet, receive and transmit email, and of course, to play those retarded online games, a portable device will do just fine.

There will always be a need and place for potent processor & graphics applications, like architecture's software, as one small example.
    This will simply mean that the desktop computer will be used by less and less people outside of a professional or power usage need situation.

Although the abundance of choices one sees now in the desktop computer builder's market will diminish somewhat, it will not disappear entirely.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

catilley1092 (2013-01-30)

Thanks
    Advantages of desktop computers over laptops and other portable devices:
    * No need to condition the battery
    * Easy to remove the dust
    * Easy to change parts
    * Much more standard than laptops, therefore cheaper and easier to maintain and repair
    * A lot more expansion slots of all types than with laptops

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, of course, they are superior in every way imaginable; except portability!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-01-25)

Thanks
    I don't buy this at all. Recently, with the shortage of Windows 8 tablets/hybrids (because the OEM's dropped the ball), many who wanted a new Windows 8 computer had to buy either a traditional notebook or desktop. One can have a Windows 8 desktop for as little as $299 ($349 w/monitor included), which is fine to web browse, check email, make purchases, etc.

More robust ones with discrete video cards are also plentiful at many retailers & online at sites like Newegg.

However, I'm tired of buying computers loaded with crapware that slows them, & spending time figuring out what's good & what should stay. So I'm now in the process of saving & bookmarking components to build my own. I've looked at many of the Newegg DIY PC combos as a reference, though most has a weak link, it gives me a guide to go by. Being that there's not a ton of savings by buying these combos, & there's some components I already have (a extra 128GB M4 SSD & many SATA HDD's, DVD burner, will use existing keyboard/mouse), I can instead buy the things that I know I'll need instead, such as a CPU cooler, NVIDIA discrete GPU & high quality PSU, along with the 32GB of DDR3 1600 RAM that I covet greatly & is within price range now.

My computer will be built around the i5 CPU with Intel 4000 graphics below, that I found in one of these DIY kits.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504

I was tempted to go with the latest AMD APU, to hold down costs, but being that I run VM's, I need to have a respectable CPU, & there are varying opinions as to whether one of these will do what I want. The thing is, even the latest of these APU's are often benchmarked against the i3, which is insufficient for my purposes. Plus Intel is simply a superior brand, perhaps their onboard graphics aren't that of the latest AMD APU's, however I don't want a AIO type of CPU. I don't want to sacrifice CPU performance for good looks, which is what I perceive the APU's to be, when I can have both by purchasing a separate CPU & GPU.

Clint's comment above is proof in the pudding that portables can't do it all.

"There will always be a need and place for potent processor & graphics applications, like architecture's software, as one small example."

My current MSI notebook, a good mid range one, is good for many things, however even with a i5 480M, GeForce GT425M (1GB DDR3) & 8GB DDR3 1333 (10700) RAM, it's not always enough. If it would hold 16GB RAM mabye, but still there's the thermal deal of a notebook to consider.

As far as the "desktop is dying or is dead", I'll believe it when I see it. Most homes that I go into, there's a PC (though there are usually portables also), & every business that I walk into has one or more PC's in sight of the customers. Many are still running XP, but that's for another discussion. Hard core gamers & other number crunchers (folding@home participants, for example) needs a solid PC. I know firsthand, because despite the fact that my notebook has quality components, & it was on a quality notebook cooler, after 3 months of 24/7 non-stop folding, the video card fried. MSI replaced it with a brand new one & for my troubles, gave me a $50 Newegg gift card. However, lesson learned, to do heavy duty work, one needs heavy duty equipment.

Kind of like pulling a large boat with a 4 cylinder pickup truck, yes it will pull it, but it will break it down & fast.

Intel has simply joined many other outlets that has stated the same thing that I started hearing in 2010, it's probably their excuse to downsize their portable CPU's (this is already happening). Yes portables are in high demand, but that doesn't mean that the PC "is dying", & I doubt in my lifetime that it will be dead.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8