Thread: Logon two-step

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Logon two-step

I have a Win 7 Ultimate setup installed on a 6 GB laptop with a 120 GB SSD with 20 GB of free space.

My problem, which is probably unrelated to the SSD or free space, is that when I try to log on with my normal administrator account the boot stalls severely. I can sidestep this by logging on to a limited account or even to a different administrator account, either of which will perform normally, and I can then Switch User to the offending account (with password) and it will perform normally.

I think something in the boot process immediately after the password must be the cause, and I would welcome any help. I could remove the password, but that removes certificates and saved passwords and so forth, if I understand it correctly.

Thanks
    Try a clean boot and see if the problem goes away.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That worked first time. Thank you for the perfect fix.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The clean boot resolved the problem but it does not necessarily identify the reason. You should reinstate the disabled items one or two at a time until you identify the real culprit. Then you can decide if you need it. If you do need it you should check with the vendor for an updated version.

Joe

Thanks
    I agree with what Joe said. The Clean Boot link shows how to do this. This is also a good time to go through the startup items and get rid of evrything except those you really need or want. If you don't know what a startup item is for, a good list with recommendations can be found at:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/
    just plug the item you are unsure about in thier search box.

Jerry