2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Switch to Local Account

I understand how to switch from loging in with a MS account to logging in with a local account, and what the differences are. My questions are:
    1. When I switch to a local account, I have to enter a user name. May this be the same name that I have on the log in screen when using a MS account?
    2. When making the switch, will I no longer be able to access my data, or will this change have no effect on My documents as far as local access is concerned?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Should have no affect on the access of your data. I believe you can use the same name. The difference is Win 8 does not access the MS servers in a local account. Because of this you do not need a MS account to log in. You can still get to WU from the local account so that should not be a problem.

I have a desktop PC that is relegated to back up duties, so I did not wish to set up a MS account for it. I chose a name to identify the PC, but as a local account I could have used the same name as my laptop, but identifying it differently made it easier to tell which PC it was on the network.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I am trying to help a 93 year old person who insisted on making the leap from Windows XP to Windows 8. It is not always easy!

Thanks
    Have you looked at the sticky threads in this forum. They may be able to help with some set up problems and problems getting around. With these tips you can make Win 8 look and feel similar to Win 7 and Win XP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy