5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A refresher course on Facebook privacy controls

TOP STORY

A refresher course on Facebook privacy controls

By Patrick Marshall
    With over a billion active users recording the minutiae of their activities, purchases, travel plans, and other personal information, Facebook is a potential treasure trove for hackers and marketers trolling for data.
    Though Facebook's privacy settings seem to be a constantly moving target, it's important to review them from time to time. Here's what you need to know.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/a-refresher-course-on-facebook-privacy-controls (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I get rid of posts from organizations? I allowed Brothersoft to access my Facebook page and now there does not seem to be any way get rid of their. I have tried blocking them using the privacy filters but nothing seems to work.

Jerry Bartlett

Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope you follow up with a primer on what to do when someone or some thing post items using your (MY) name. They all seem to have a tumblr.com address and look legitimate, ie posts that say I have endorsed Southwest Airlines (don't use them) or Starbucks $100 free card that I got(I didn't!). That Facebook offers no real help really ticks me off. GRRrrrr! I know I could stop using facebook, but....!

Ken Kashmarek
    Since when did Windows Secrets become a primer for FaceBook newbies? Let's get the writers back on topic - WINDOWS!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Thank you for this article. While I do not use Facebook, many family members do and I passed this article on to them.

I do use LinkedIn and would appreciate a similar article on LinkedIn privacy controls.

Regards,
    Tom

Thanks
    This article and others on Social Networking are very much in line with the current focus of Windows Secrets Newsletter. It isn't just about tweaking your own home computer anymore, and hasn't been that way for over two years that I am aware of. Many people use Social Networks, and would like more information on how to use these sites responsibly and safely. Thanks for a great article, and I hope there's more to come.
    -- Bob Primak --

Ken Kashmarek
    That would mean it is no longer "Windows Secrets". Change the name.