New Lounger
    Thanks

too many .pst files

I have way too many .pst files. I don't which to keep or backup. Last summer, I tried to move my outlook data to a new computer, and I obviously messed up. It is currently set up like the screen shot attached as the outlook lists. I can send from the “Outlook” group, or the “swansonfamily1@charter.net” group, but all my emails come into the inbox of “swansonfamily1@charter.net,” so that is what I regularly use.

When I search I find all pst files as shown in the attached file “pst files.

The modified dates on the first two files show no action since August. It looks like “Outlook.pst” and “swansonfamily1@charter.net” are in snyc. I don’t know what the “Outlook Data File –Swanson Family.pst” is nor what “swansonfamily1@charter.net(2).pst” is.

I have left this alone because I don’t want to mess it up more, but it would be nice to clean things up. Should I leave things, or what do you think I should do?

Thanks for any help you can answer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When you first set up a new account for Outlook it will take that account name and use it to make a .pst file for that account's mail. In the process of setting up you can select which pst file you wish to use. For example, make them all go to Outlook.pst. You can also export the mail in, say, New Swanson(2).pst. After that go to your email accounts and change the New Swanson(2) email account to be in Outlook.pst. Then import those emails from the exported New Swanson(2)...if you wish.

The trick is to select what pst file you wish while setting up each account if you do not want the default name. I've been there and done that. Maybe you might get lucky and will not have any mail you want in some of those pst files. In that case, you can just switch the account to the Outlook.pst data file without needing to export the particular Swanson pst file first.

As for the name of a pst file, you can name it whatever you wish. That would account for the Data file name possibly.