New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Reinstall

Hello Everyone,
    I have Windows 7 Professional with Service pack 1. I followed the instructions found here on Windows Secrets http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/ and uninstalled KB976932 but when I tried to reinstall windows 7 I clicked on Upgrade just like the instructions said Windows popped up and said it could not continue because my version was newer than my OE CD. I then checked my system information and it still said I have SP1 installed but when I check the "View Installed Updates it is not to be found, I even searched for it in the box in the upper right corner of the "Installed Update" window and it doesn't show up. What can I do to make sure it is gone so I can continue with the reinstall? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can download an ISO from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/window...-home-premium/

These are official versions and you can use them with your Windows key.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you but I already own a pre SP1 OEM copy. My windows was up to date with all the latest ones. I uninstalled SP1 so I could do a No-Reformat, Nondestructive Reinstall but windows says I still have SP1 but now I can't find it since I uninstalled it like the instructions from Windows Secrets Fred langa's found here http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...ive-reinstall/

Administrator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure you understand what I want to do. I do not want SP1 and I do not want an ISO I do not want to lose any of my programs or settings.

Thanks
    This procedure is not 100% effective. You might be out of luck. I suppose you could insert your DVD and choose Repair my PC, then try a repair install. This generally leaves you installed apps in place.

Unfortunately these procedures outlined to try to replace the Windows System Files without touching everything else never work 100% of the time. Depending on installed apps there are times the installed apps will break with this method and you have to reinstall the apps anyway.

You may have no way to do what you are trying except with a complete reinstallation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I uninstalled SP1 update through the view installed updates. I right clicked on KB976932 and uninstalled it but in the windows systems versions information it says I have "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601". I want o make sure I uninstalled SP1 correctly since clicking on the uninstall button didn't seam to work. I can not find KB976932 on my system any more.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the Repair install before and it didn't help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWes View Post
    I am not sure you understand what I want to do. I do not want SP1 and I do not want an ISO I do not want to lose any of my programs or settings.
    I am sorry, I think it's you who aren't understanding. An ISO, when burned, will create a bootable DVD that you can use as Fred Langa explained in his article.
    Also, you said hen you tried using your Windows DVD, the reinstall would not be done, as Windows stated that the installed version is newer. If it is newer, it means Windows still thinks the installed version is Windows 7 SP1. This means you can only use Windows 7 SP1 for the reinstall, nothing else is usable.

I hope things are clearer, now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, thank you. Will I lose any of my programs or settings if I reinstall with an ISO DVD?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you perform a non destructive reinstall, as explained by Fred Langa in the article you referred above, no programs will be lost. I have done it once, on my own desktop, and things went very well. It may be a lengthy operation though.

As Medico wrote, things can go wrong, so it is advised that you perform a full image backup, that you can then restore if things go wrong.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for the advice. I am currently downloading the ISO file and will go through the proceedures and get back with you. Wish me luck.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Good luck .

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To all,

I'm adding this note to several threads, because I don't feel it's been adequately discussed:

For a successful reinstall, one needs to ensure that
    a.) All libraries (reparse points) are pointing to the original locations on the C: drive, and
    b.)The C: drive must have free space equal to the Windows partition size + 9 GB.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2015-06-12 at 14:17.