2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Which DVD program to use with Movie Maker?

Movie Maker for XP is a wonderful piece. I just recently discovered it on my system and created CDs from camcorder tapes. The sound is acceptable and I added titles between sections. The CDs play on computer screens but not TVs. Now I'd like to make DVD copies that will play on TVs. Does anyone have a favorite program to recommend? Free (or low cost) and easy are preferred characteristics.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you export the project from WMM at the highest quality possible (1024x768 or widescreen equivalent in AVI) video, you can use that video file in a program like DVD Flick to produce and burn a video DVD that will play in more modern DVD players that can read homemade DVDs. I haven't used it in a long time now as I go the media player route from hard drive directly to TV, but it always worked well for me in the past.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the recommendation of DVDFlick. I'll give it a try. You also wrote that you use a "media player route from hard drive directly to TV," and I'd like to know just how you do that -- I'm visualizing a cable from your computer to your TV. Is that right?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well some (many?) TVs now come with what is called DLNA compatibility, which means they can read DLNA compatibe NAS hard drives that store the media content and play them directly but I'm a little more old school in that I have a Western Digital TV Live media player that hooks to the TV via HDMI, and that device can play any media file it is compatible with (which is most formats) from anywhere on the local network that is shared. I have a RAID5 NAS that stores most of my media files so it's more convenient to locate them for playback.

So I pretty much take every step in preparing media that one would to make a DVD, except I don't burn a DVD, I just copy the file to the NAS and play it from there, from NAS to router, to WD Live media player to TV.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info about playing media files on your TV. If I ever decide to go that route, I'll take a printout of your message to the store in hopes of obtaining "the right stuff."

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya I prefer my current method and you do not have to have a NAS drive on the network to make it work. Most or all media players have a USB port or eSATA to accept input from a portable drive so you don't even need a network, just the ability to copy media files from a computer to the portable drive and then transfer and plug it into the media player. Plus I prefer the file structure approach to finding media files, not DNLA, which just finds all the media files there is and lists them in alphabetical order, which becomes quite unwieldy when there are several hundred media files.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, your answers are enough to get me going!