Thanks

Deleting a file owned by user Unix user/apache

I'm trying to delete a file owned by the above user but am unable to. I do a simple delete and nothing happens (it disappears but then reappears). If I try to rename it, it says I need permission from Unix user/Apache to do it. How do I get rid of this file? It's an old backup I no longer need (actually the only file left on that backup).
    OS is Windows 8 Pro

Malcolm

Thanks
    Add Take ownership to your right click contect menu. Right click the file and choose Take Ownership, then try to delete it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks, I tried that but the file just reappears. I did something similar before but that didn't work either (the method required me to be administrator (I think) rather than having admin rights. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    See if Grant Administrator Full Control helps. I actually use this rather than Take Ownership.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Is the user "Unix user/apache" included in your user profile section?
    Are you logged on as FULL administrator, or a "watered down" version of administrator?

This may help:
    How to Take Full Ownership of Files & Folders in Windows 8
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-18 at 00:04.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanks guys, but when I look at the properties for the file, there are three users, two Unix ones and Everyone. They all have the same permissions (including delete). So it doesn't look if it's a permissions one. It's actually the remains of file history I had on that drive - it had done FH's trick of saving multiple copies of my data even though they hadn't changed. I removed share from music etc and that seems to have fixed the problem - so I'm just deleting the old files. Ho hum.

I tried CLiNT's solution (wasn't the same windows - might this be a upgrade in place versus a fresh install issue - I did the former. I'll try Medico's solution if all else fails but I'm not convinced...!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If the file disappears and reappears it is being deleted and then some process is recreating the file.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If the file disappears and reappears it is being deleted and then some process is recreating the file. Joe
    That thought crossed my mind as well, but I couldn't think of a likely culprit. Is it possible that File History itself was doing this (I haven't yet read the tab on FH that I saved a while ago)? My very vague impression was that you were allowed to eliminate things saved by FH that you don't need, but perhaps you have to go through some special process analogous to changing system files protected by dllcache.

Thanks
    The only problem with that is that I'm not using that disk for File History but a USB connected one. I aim to revert to the NAS in due course, but only after I've sorted this. The file is called \\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Backup\File_history\user\Computer_name\Data\C\User s\user\Desktop\desktop (2012_12_31 08_31_40 UTC).ini, in case it helps. (Some folder names changed to protect the innocent). I'll also try deleting it from my Wife's laptop which is still Win 7, after I've switched this PC off. I'm prepared to try anything....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm - that sounds like something created (and just possibly still 'protected') by a Seagate backup mechanism: is one still running on your machine?

Thanks
    I shut down my Win 98 PC and tried deleting said file using the Win 7 laptop. File disappeared then reappeared. So it can't be anything on my Win 8 PC (and I uninstalled the Seagate and Memeo software anyway - not compatible with Win 8). The memo software is on the laptop though. I've managed to rename the File_history folder but I can't rename the ini file.

I've just run the cmd prompt and deleted the file (after assigning a drive letter), but the same thing happens.I've tried the same with running cmd as admin, but it can't find the drive. I'm a bit flummoxed by this....

Just added - the file only appears to return when I try to delete the folder it's in.
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2013-01-18 at 16:31.

Thanks
    If it's an external drive we're talking about here, pull all the data you need off the drive and format it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Hmmm, there's about 1.2Tb on it. My internal drive is 1Tb and my USB drive is 1Tb and both have lots on them as well. Will need a bit of moving around to fit it all in. If all else fails....!

I've just thought - it does seem to be small nut and large sledgehammer though