Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Requirements for W8

Last autumn I tried to install Win8 preview on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, created the ISO but it would not load. After Ted mentioned that it needs extra features, I assumed the laptop did not have them and gave up.

As the end of the offer period is fast approaching I decided to see what they are and whether they can be installed if absent. The MS site says that the processor must support PAE, NX and SSE2 for installation to succeed. I looked up the T1600 processor on the Intel site, but there is no mention of these, but then I have doubts about itís accuracy, as it claims to be 64 bit, but the laptop is 32 bit.

Iíve just run the Upgrade Assistant, it did not say the machine was incompatible with W8, but mentioned 5 items I need to review. Unfortunately they leave me confused, especially points 2 and 4.

1. It says I may need to install software to play DVDs, so presumably the Roxio installed with the DVD writer will need to be replaced.
    2. Secure boot is incompatible. Does this matter?
    3. MSE is incompatible, yet the other day I read that Ted runs MSE and Malwarebytes on his PC. But not a major problem, there are many AV programmes.
    4. WinPcan 4.1.1 is incompatible. Iíve no idea what that is, is it important or replaceable?
    5. iTunes Ďremove authorised PCsí. What does this mean.

I would appreciate any comment on whether it is worth buying the DVD, presumably it is necessary if the system needs to be reinstalled at some point.

Tucked away at the bottom is the comment that the quoted £24.99 is only an estimated price, and it may cost more.

Finally there was mention of purchasing the Media Centre for £50, but itís not at all clear whether this is an additional £50, or includes the W8 Pro. I doubt that I need it, my wife has it on her Vista PC but has never discovered how to use it.

Thanks
    Secure Boot is found on newer style PCs. Do not worry about it. I do not have this and mine is fine

MSE is the Win 7 version. Win 8 includes Win Defender (later version of MSE) by default

Until Jan 31st you can get Media Center for free. This will play DVDs. You can also use VLC Media Player.

I do not know about WinPcan, but I believe you can say bye, bye

I do not use iTunes at all, sorry.

You can check in your PC Bios about PAE/NX compatibility, or there may be a Bios update. 32 Bit OSs can be installed on 64 Bit processors. The entire system must be 64 Bit compatible to install a 64 Bit OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-01-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Use Sysinternals CoreInfo to determine whether your CPU supports the Windows 8 requirements or not.

I am not sure about the compatibility report. Are you using any form of secure boot? If you don't know what WinPcan is, seems it won't matter much, so you can uninstall it before proceeding. I would probably uninstall MSE too (Windows 8 natively includes a different version).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-01-17)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    I would appreciate any comment on whether it is worth buying the DVD, presumably it is necessary if the system needs to be reinstalled at some point.
    You have the option to burn your own DVD (rather than perform the upgrade immediately) during the download process - you'll only get the version (32- or 64-bit) that matches the system you used to download, but if you redownload using a system running the other architecture you can get that as well (the same product key works for both). If you'd like commercial DVDs for both versions Newegg has them on sale (including product key) through 1/23 for $54.99 (but I think you need to subscribe to Newegg's 'e-blast' newsletter to use the promo code).

Finally there was mention of purchasing the Media Centre for £50, but it’s not at all clear whether this is an additional £50, or includes the W8 Pro. I doubt that I need it, my wife has it on her Vista PC but has never discovered how to use it.
    I think that the Media Center upgrade will cost only $10 in the U.S. after February 1st, and as Medico noted until that time it's free (though you have to install it, not just obtain the relevant key, by February 1st). The package you saw may have been the 'Windows 8 Pro Pack', which upgrades a Windows 8 system (rather than an XP, Vista, or Win 7 system) to Windows 8 Pro and does include Media Center.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to - bill For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-01-17)

Thanks
    As Bill mentions, you will get the bitness of the system you download on. If you have a 32 Bit OS now and wish the 64 Bit, perhaps you know someone who will let you use there system for the ISO download. Just choose Install using Media you create when you get to that point in the process. In this way the installation of Win 8 will not continue on the borrowed PC. You would then burn the ISO file to DVD or Flash Drive and boot to this to install on your PC. Obviously to change the bitness of your original OS will require a Custom Install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Medico, I thought this was all hashed out eons ago on the Windows 8 forums.

PS:
    I just installed Win-8/64 on a seven year old eMachine and it's running great!
    Some brands of PC's may not take well to Windows 8. Eh?

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Last edited by DrWho; 2013-01-18 at 10:02. Reason: did some cleanup and re-phrasing
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    There are many who are just starting the Win 8 adventure. As a similar thread gets pushed further down the list of threads as new threads are created, they tend to not get read. Unless a member uses the correct search words, these older threads sometimes hide quite well. I know whenever I wish to find a particular thread, I seem to always have a problem, then a some time later I hit upon the thread I was trying to find. Hmmm, perhaps my older mind is just tired! LOL!

I guess much of this info will be brought forth in new questions from time to time. I don't mind this so much as seeing almost identical threads back to back. We saw this quite a bit in the Win 8 forums and that did get irritating after a while.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Use Sysinternals CoreInfo to determine whether your CPU supports the Windows 8 requirements or not.
    Thanks ruirib. Unfortunately CoreInfo doesn't seem to work on the laptop. The info flashes on the screen for about half a second and is gone - there doesn't seem to be much there anyway.

Bios only shows the version and the Tag number.

So as the Upgrade Assistant didn't mention PAE, etc. I'll go ahead and download this weekend, as everything else seems to be OK.

George
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-01-18 at 13:57. Reason: additional clause.

Thanks
    George, make sure when you get to the section:

14.jpg

make sure you choose Install by Creating Media. This will allow you to save the ISO file to your PC then burn the ISO file to DVD or a Flash Drive for installation purposes. Plus this allows you to choose the Custom Install and gives you media to use when the Repair Console is needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-01-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    You need to open a command prompt and run it from there.

I suggest you create a folder, say c:\temp. Download coreinfo and extract the contents to c:\temp
    Open a command prompt and type cd \temp and then simply type coreinfo.

When all is done you can remove the temp​ folder.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ - bill
    Just to be clear what is involved, I burn the DVD during the download, then the ISO, or is that replaced by the DVD?

You are right about the ‘Windows 8 Pro Pack’ – I was puzzled as to why anyone would buy the Pro Pack for £50 when they would have already bought W8 Pro for half the price. Hence my query about Media Centre.

@ Medico
    I am not bothered about 64 bit, as the existing Vista is 32 bit. It was only mentioned as a reason for not being impressed by the Intel information, but it seems they are right.

Something has occurred to me since my original posting, namely the offer price is described as an upgrade, this presumably means it can’t be installed alongside the Vista already on the laptop. That was my intention until today, however, last year I wanted to try W8 in view of much criticism, and if I didn’t like it I would have replaced my aging XP PC with W7 whilst still available, but it’s now probably too late for that, and your strong advocacy of W8 has done much to reassure me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You need to open a command prompt and run it from there.

I suggest you create a folder, say c:\temp. Download coreinfo and extract the contents to c:\temp
    Open a command prompt and type cd \temp and then simply type coreinfo.

When all is done you can remove the temp​ folder.
    I'm really impressed! A reply within 9 minutes, when I hadn't even started on the next reply.

But can you tell me how to create a folder In Vista? It is so easy with XP and Office 2003.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    the offer price is described as an upgrade, this presumably means it can’t be installed alongside the Vista already on the laptop
    While you might be ABLE to install it that way by going through a few contortions, it would unquestionably violate the license agreement if you continued to use the Vista system after having used that same system for the upgrade. Whether Microsoft has the ability to detect (and if so the inclination to take action to correct) such a violation is not clear.

If you used the Win 8 Release Preview and still have a saved image you could, I believe, legitimately use it instead of the Vista system as the basis for the upgrade, thereby allowing you to continue to use the Vista system legitimately as well: while the EULA does not mention using the Release Preview as a basis for the upgrade, Microsoft representatives formally stated that it was acceptable and it does work (some might claim that this is at best a gray area, and they might be right - but it's no 'grayer' than the trick used to install the Win 7 upgrade over itself, which credible sources claim was not an oversight on Microsoft's part).

And if you have some other now-unused XP, Vista, or 7 system that could (I think legitimately but I'd have to go back and re-read the EULA to be sure) be used as the basis of the upgrade as well.

Edit: Whoops - I think that Medico's reply above addresses your question about how to go about creating a DVD (first save the .iso file to disk, then burn it later). And ruirib explained how you needed to run CoreInfo to see its results.

Edit2: I'm afraid our single Vista system (a laptop) succumbed a while ago, but on Win 7 you need to open up a Windows Explorer window and right-click on a drive or directory, click 'New' in the resulting menu, and you'll get the option to create a new directory in the parent.
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-01-18 at 15:09.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1.It says I may need to install software to play DVDs, so presumably the Roxio installed with the DVD writer will need to be replaced.
    2.Secure boot is incompatible. Does this matter?
    3.MSE is incompatible, yet the other day I read that Ted runs MSE and Malwarebytes on his PC. But not a major problem, there are many AV programmes.
    4.WinPcan 4.1.1 is incompatible. I’ve no idea what that is, is it important or replaceable?
    5. iTunes ‘remove authorised PCs’. What does this mean

1 Go to Microsoft and have key for Media Center emailed now.
    2 Does not matter.
    3 Does not matter. Newer Windows Defender included in OS.
    4 Not needed.
    5 Open iTunes>Controls then deauthorize this computer. Once Win * is installed you can reinstall iTunes and authorize the computer again.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rlfvt For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-01-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After ages spend trying to create a new folder in Vista or Office, finally discovering it
    under ‘organize’ of all unlikely places, and downloading coreinfo to it, the real problem began.

I have tried everything I could think of, only to hit a brick wall. It is impossible in command prompt to enter cd \temp and then simply type coreinfo. I believe the first problem is that it begins ‘C:\Users\Esteri>’ and there is no way to get rid of the >, which I’m sure should not be there. But no matter how I manipulate the entry, it always says that ‘temp’ is not recognised as a command or programme.

Having spent an hour or so on this, I’m truly grateful that I only have to maintain the two Vista machines and not actually use them. Hopefully XP and Office 2003 will survive as long as I do!

Tomorrow I shall try to contact Intel and get the required information about their processor, or give up on W8, at least until it’s necessary to buy a PC with it installed.

I would try the download without a definitive answer as to whether the processor is adequate, but if W8 fails to install and has wiped out Vista we are left with a laptop with no OS.

But I would like to thank everyone who has helped me.

George

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast