Thanks

Wireless printing problem

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 (64bit) with Windows 7 Home Premium on my wireless network. I installed the wireless software to the networked Lexmark Prevail Pro 705 printer recently (less than a month) and all was well until a day or so ago when the laptop decided that it no longer wanted to print. Upon opening the Lexmark Printer Home, I discovered that there were some updates that needed to be installed. I disabled my MSE and installed the updates. The printer was again able to be accessed from the laptop. Last night it happened again so we just transferred the documents and I printed them.
    This morning I opened the Windows Firewall and shut it down to see if there could be a problem there. There didn't appear to be any problems, as the "allowed" matched what was on my laptop. I then tried to print, and nothing happened. Next I turned the firewall back on, rebooted the laptop, and voila! it printed. I have checked and the laptop is up to date with Windows Updates, as well as the printer software.
    An intermittent problem is going to be hard to diagnose but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you checked the event logs?

Is the print spool service running when you can't print?

Joe

Thanks
    Well, as bizarre as this may sound, but the problem seems to have cleared up. Follow along here:
    My son's business classes are using Office 2010, and since we were using Office 2007 there were just too many differences we decided to go ahead and get the home student version. Now here is where it gets interesting. Keep in mind that his laptop is a 64bit machine, and mine is 32bit. The Office 2007 that we were using was also 32bit. So I downloaded both the 64 and 32 bit installs for Office 2010 and intalled the appropriate additions on the appropriate computers. That was 3 days ago, and his laptop is now printing again just fine. Could it have been something else? probably, but Im going to leave well enough alone!.

Told ya it was weird!

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)