Lounger
    Thanks

Removing Norton Online Backup trial version

Hi - Not sure I'm in the correct forum. I just bought a new Acer Win7 x64 computer that came with preloaded trial software. I want to remove the Norton Online Backup (NOB) trial. I've been searching for information and have not found much consistency in the suggestions or results.

NOB (6.19 MB) is the only Norton program that appears in my uninstall program box. I have read that simply clicking uninstall with NOB highlighted will not completely uninstall it, and many mention Norton uninstallers. I apparently haven't triggered the sales pitch yet, since I haven't seen any notices.

I would really appreciate any help concerning how to carry this out, since it seems that it is easy to go down the wrong road.

Thanks, Gary
    Last edited by gpeyton; 2013-01-17 at 14:45. Reason: left out a word

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

gpeyton (2013-01-22)

Thanks
    The REVO Uninstaller tool is also rated favorably by many users here on the lounge.
    It may come in handy for other complex programs and crapware that is usually associated with newly purchased computers.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-18 at 00:06.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

gpeyton (2013-01-22)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig and CLiNT - Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the Norton uninstaller from majorgeeks last night, but downloaded to another computer, copied to a CD, and from that to the new computer, instead of downloading directly to the desktop of the new computer as instructed, since I am not yet virus-protected or patched so did not want to connect to the internet. Apparently that doesnt work, as I got a message that the file (only 254 KB) was corrupted. I was hoping to uninstall Norton Online Backup and McAffee and install Zone Alarm before connecting to the internet. Also, the latest patch on the computer when I got it was from March 2012, so I've got a lot of patching to do, too. I patch my other computers manually, using Susan Bradley's recommendations, but am not looking forward to 10 months worth of manual patching.

My plan now is to try to uninstall McAffee, install Zone Alarm from a CD, patch, then connect to internet, try Norton uninstaller and check into REVO. Both Norton and McAffee are already in the start menu, so does that mean that they are already activated? I guess so, since control panel says that the firewall is being managed by McAffee.

Does my plan sound reasonable?

Thanks for any suggestions, Gary

Additional question: Can McAffee be easily and cleanly installed by using Windows7?
    Last edited by gpeyton; 2013-01-18 at 12:11. Reason: misspelled, added question

Thanks
    Both Norton and McAffee are already in the start menu, so does that mean that they are already activated? I guess so, since control panel says that the firewall is being managed by McAffee.
    Go into task manager, or process explorer, and kill their respective processes prior to uninstalling them, irrigardless of whatever uninstall method you decide to do.

You could install MSE as a temporary AV/AM, and the native Windows firewall will be more than sufficient for internet access.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I've uninstalled Norton many times from new computers. Just go to Control Panel / Programs and Features. Highlight Norton, then choose Uninstall. Reboot after doing it, and it's gone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

gpeyton (2013-01-22)

Lounger
    Thanks
    My results are rather anticlimactic - MaAffee appeared to uninstall cleanly, loaded Zone Alarm from the CD, Malwarebytes from the internet, and was having enough success to try uninstalling Norton Online Backup from Windows Programs and features, as suggested by mrjimphelps. This also appeared to be a clean uninstall. I did this prior to getting CLiNT's post about processes in Task Manager, which sounded like a good idea. I checked Task Manager later but didnt find anything that I could associate with any of the preloads. After that uninstalled most of the other junk that was preloaded, and seem to be in good shape. Is there anything I need to check to see if there are any old software parts laying around? Thanks to Zig, CLiNT, and mrjimphelps. Keeping the Norton and REVO uninstallers in mind for the future, but dont plan to be intentionally loading anything Norton in the near future.

Thanks, Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeyton View Post
    My results are rather anticlimactic - MaAffee appeared to uninstall cleanly, loaded Zone Alarm from the CD, Malwarebytes from the internet, and was having enough success to try uninstalling Norton Online Backup from Windows Programs and features, as suggested by mrjimphelps. This also appeared to be a clean uninstall. I did this prior to getting CLiNT's post about processes in Task Manager, which sounded like a good idea. I checked Task Manager later but didnt find anything that I could associate with any of the preloads. After that uninstalled most of the other junk that was preloaded, and seem to be in good shape. Is there anything I need to check to see if there are any old software parts laying around? Thanks to Zig, CLiNT, and mrjimphelps. Keeping the Norton and REVO uninstallers in mind for the future, but dont plan to be intentionally loading anything Norton in the near future.

Thanks, Gary
    I would run some software like CCleaner. There is a section in it which allows you to disable items which start up when you start Windows. If Norton is in the list of items which start at start time, you can disable it there. You can also run the registry cleaner section of CCleaner, to make sure that there aren't any remnants of Norton hanging around in the registry.

CCleaner is a widely accepted program, and it's free.

Thanks
    @gpeyton: You can download a "safe" Norton Removal Tool from the Symantec web site.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...home&version=1
    Last edited by petesmst; 2013-01-23 at 07:03. Reason: Added link
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary,

I've just un-installed the bloatware on my new Acer Aspire V5 laptop.

First I installed Nick Bedford's free 'System Restore Explorer' (http://nicbedford.co.uk/software/systemrestoreexplorer/) just in case.

Next, I used 'PC Decrapifier' (http://pcdecrapifier.com/, free for personal use) to remove the bloatware.

After using 'Control Panel > Programs and Features' to remove 'McAfee Internet Security Suite' I then used the 'McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool' (MCPR.exe) (http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe) to cleanup the remnants.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Peter S and Rick. Checking for McAfee shrapnel is a good idea, and that is a different URL for the Norton Removal Tool than the one I had. I'm saving this stuff.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

removing norton on line

First off removing this product completely and correctly is not as important as you might think. This is an on line anti virus so it does not run on start up and does not put lots of files in your system. Also unlike an anti virus on your computer ( really installed) where correct removal is important for the new replacement to work correctly an on line anti virus can work with an on board anti virus with no conflict.Therefore its removal is not an issue for your other anti virus . Because of this I don't think it has a removal tool .Just go to control panel and do the uninstall and you'll be ok.
    If you really want to clean up you could run the registry part of CCcleaner ( free download ) and remove only registry keys that say norton on line if any show. Keep it simple is the best policy Good luck

Bob

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobFo For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2013-01-30),gpeyton (2013-02-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Go into task manager, or process explorer, and kill their respective processes prior to uninstalling them, irrigardless of whatever uninstall method you decide to do.

You could install MSE as a temporary AV/AM, and the native Windows firewall will be more than sufficient for internet access.
    OMG I have been trying to find a solution for over an hour to get rid of this thing and finally I found the RIGHT one!!!!! I had to keep ending the process But It Worked!!!!!!! Thanks