Thanks

Huge jump in price for Win 8 after Jan. 31st.

Windows 8 Pro upgrade price rises to $199.99 after Jan. 31. This is more than I expected. At this price I can see upgrades halting. Anyone anticipating the possibility better make up their mind quickly.

The price for Media Center add on will be $9.99 after Jan. 31st as well. Again, this is free until then.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    That price would not make it worthwhile to upgrade, especially since Windows 7 is still relatively new and has proven to be a very good OS.
    It makes you wonder what they have in mind for a full retail version. I doubt I'd pay 199.99 even for a full retail version.

As far as I'm concerned no OS ought to cost more than a hundred dollars, upgrade or otherwise.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    It makes you wonder what they have in mind for a full retail version.
    There isn't one.

Bruce

Thanks
    The retail non upgrade Pro version will be 199.99.
    It's just the previous upgrade offer that is supposedly being discontinued.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    The retail non upgrade Pro version will be 199.99.
    No. There isn't one.

Bruce

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I doubt that this price increase is news to anyone who has ventured beyond Microsoft's Win 8 Pro Upgrade download to, say, Newegg or Amazon, since both of those retailers have listed the retail price of the upgrade as $199.99 since they began offering it on October 26th (including commercial DVDs supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit versions) - usually at $69.99 but as low as $27.49 after rebate and Discover cash back at times.

That's likely why a lot of relatively early adopters (I mean, who else purchases software upgrades rather than new machines?), including many who don't care for many of Win 8's 'improvements' (see user reviews at both Newegg and Amazon), have jumped at the opportunity to get the Win 8 Pro Upgrade right now: it's a bargain (I think the three copies I've purchased totaled about $105 net, including two pairs of commercial DVDs) for a system that still works (albeit annoyingly), gives one a Windows platform that will be supported for another decade, and depending upon Microsoft's future interface whims just might be the last even annoyingly usable Windows ever.

I certainly agree that at $199.99 upgrade purchases will likely fall off a cliff - not simply because the price is too high in an absolute sense but because anyone with even half a clue got in their own upgrade purchases earlier. The only explanation I can come up with is that Microsoft was attempting to create such an early upgrade stampede in order to bolster its early sales numbers - and if major 'sale' prices suddenly appear after February 1st that will become a pretty tenable thesis.

Thanks
    Even though I do like Win 8 and anticipate using it for quite some time to come, I would not have upgraded at anything close to $199. As I said during Win 8 CP and Win 8 RP days, I would only consider installing Win 8 Pro if the price was right. $40 was right, $199 is not!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Microcenter is offering the System Builder version for $99:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...g_System_(OEM)

Newegg has the full version for the same $99 price:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416551

That's pretty much in line with Windows 7 pricing after the initial promotion died. I don't anticipate the prices rising next month.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Microcenter is offering the System Builder version for $99:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...g_System_(OEM)

Newegg has the full version for the same $99 price:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416551

That's pretty much in line with Windows 7 pricing after the initial promotion died. I don't anticipate the prices rising next month.

Jerry
    Those are both OEM System Builder, but not Pro which is $40 more.

Bruce

Thanks
    Those are both OEM System Builder, but not Pro which is $40 more.
    True, but most home users won't miss the additional Pro features: Encryption, VHD, Domain join, Group Policy, and client only Remote Desktop. In return, you can install System builder on a bare drive without jumping through hoops.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a heads-up: today and tomorrow might be the last chance to get the Win 8 Pro Upgrade, including DVDs, for $29.99 (at Newegg, after $40 rebate).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I didn't buy it at $39.95, and I didn't, then I sure won't buy it at $199. As for $29.99 with a mail in rebate, I don't do mail in rebates.

The only computer I have that I would have considered putting it on is an Old HP Compaq EVO that has Windows 2000 and no support for the NX bit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    This is nothing new. The upgrade offer is expiring. The price is returning to the same price as Windows 7.

By now almost everyone who would do an upgrade themselves have done so. Just a reminder, the very large majority of Windows users obtain a new version with a new PC not through an upgrade. Microsoft provide a relatively inexpensive price for the enthusiast community who are the ones likely to upgrade.

Joe