Lounger
    Thanks

Acer laptop 3690-2972-- USB ports ?

My Acer laptop 3690-2972 lost all its USB2.0 ports. When I connect a known-functional USB2.0 device to any of the four USB2.0 ports, the laptop (XP32bit) does not even note a device has been connected.

I removed and reinstalled the USB drivers from system/hardware manager, but no change in the laptop's behavior.

Of course, I would like to image the system, especially since my last image was several months ago.

Any ideas about what to check, or attempt next? Despite its age, this laptop has been used very seldom, and was simply updated and its battery recharged. No surges from storms or abuse from rough handling, ever.

Acer, itself, does not want to talk with anybody outside warranty, by even email.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be a failure of the motherboard USB drivers or a hardware failure. If you are fortunate enough to have been supplied a driver disk with the laptop which should contain all the original drivers you could try putting in the disk and telling device manager to update drivers but direct it to the CD USB drivers folder. If the port connections have faulted you may need a new Motherboard or get a computer repair engineer to try to repair it.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Lounger
    Thanks

I was afraid of that, but will keep you posted

Yes, I guessed I was in trouble with the Acer laptop when it refused to recognize the external USB driver plug. This is astonishing, since the ACER has had so little actual combat exposure.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on my diagnostic-- I do have a driver CD, and I believe ACER still has these posted.

Thanks for being there, for a second opinion.

BG

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you know if you have a PCMCIA slot or ExpressCard slot? If you do, I know you can get PCMCIA cards with two USB slots, probably also with ExpressCards. One possible workaround if the mobo USB buses are toast.

Thanks
    I believe F.U.N. downtown has the most likely and the easiest fix. However, here's another possible solution.

Check the temperature of your laptop using a program like speedfan. If the laptop is really hot, that could be the cause of the USB failure. In that case, open it up and completely dust it out. While it's open, you should consider removing and reseating the heatsink with high grade thermal grease.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I believe F.U.N. downtown has the most likely and the easiest fix. However, here's another possible solution.

Check the temperature of your laptop using a program like speedfan. If the laptop is really hot, that could be the cause of the USB failure. In that case, open it up and completely dust it out. While it's open, you should consider removing and reseating the heatsink with high grade thermal grease.
    Very good advice also while in there you could check the USB connections to the Motherboard see if anything seems loose. May only require a bit of re soldering to repair the connectors which you can get an engineer to do for you if not feel comfortable with doing it yourself.

Also check seating of any memory cards in case they are not fully connected but I would expect to see more serious issues if they were but while laptop is open worth a check (can remove and then replace them to see if anything changes).
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-01-22 at 13:51.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you-- that is a good suggestion, and I do have the standard PCMCIA slot.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It turned out this unit-- which has not been out of its case very often-- was not clogged with dust, and the fan was OK. However, your suggestion about thermal grease on the heatsink is a keeper.

Lounger
    Thanks

Smile RESOLUTION-- USB Ports 2.0 "Come back to Life"

This is difficult to explain, but after putting away the laptop in its case, after discovering an intractible problem with all USB2.0 ports (would not recognize known good USB2.0 ext USB hard drive), all USB2.0 ports recovered completely on my next session.

This result suggests the problem was not the laptop, itself. USB ports >> normally << do not flip themselves off without a cause, as other, helpful posters pointed out. The more likely cause is a driver issue, since I recently replaced the ext HD with a new model which does not use the same driver as the original.

Of course, this is sheer conjecture, based on the little I was able to establish. So far, the problem has not returned.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaa10 View Post
    It turned out this unit-- which has not been out of its case very often-- was not clogged with dust, and the fan was OK. However, your suggestion about thermal grease on the heatsink is a keeper.
    If you do that, go really slow and careful. It's easy to break something in a laptop when you tear it down and rebuild it.

A very good quality thermal grease is "Arctic Silver 5", available at most Radio Shacks. A small tube, enough for two or three applications, costs less than $10.

Completely clean the old thermal grease off of the CPU and the heat sink using q-tips and high grade isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry for a couple of minutes. Then apply the new thermal grease. Don't put too much. It will spread out and cover the surface when you press the two parts together.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-04-15 at 20:29.