Banned Member
    Thanks

Lightbulb Creating Applications Window

Rt Clk on your desktop > New > Shortcut.
    Put this in the 'box' %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}
    Name it, Applications
    (Now) Open the desktop icon, probably you'll want to remove the nav tree, really no need for it in this case, slect the View & Sort desired and Minimize it to the Taskbar... never close it or will have to be reconfigured from the desktop icon.... it has to be reset from that icon following a reboot.
    W/ this you have everything in a familiar window & never have to leave desktop (switch screens, like to WinQ or Start) to access anything
    And done w/out any 3rd party add-ins. Together w/ Desktop Toolbar, yep, makes things really nice.

Enjoy

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    yep, makes things really nice.
    For people who never reboot, anyway. I tend to do so fairly frequently moving around among older Windows systems and Linux, plus the occasional boot-from-CD-or-DVD. Even without those things, I shut down the PC when I'm not going to be using it for a day or more.

Think I'll stick with a third-party solution that actually does what I want (or as much of what I want as seems available so far).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well it certainly is a comprehensive list it seems but that seems to be part of the problem as well, I've got all these extra sub configuration program modules showing up, a bunch of language tutorials, and it took me at least 5 or six seconds longer (first time 30 seconds longer) to find a control panel item using that list method compared to using the start menu control panel menu. It's all too unorganized for me, that's the word I was looking for.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Control Panel items are not listed w/ applications. The window here is all one's programs & in this example done alphabetically. CP items can be accessed via Desktop Toolbar or via 'Power Users' menu.... as well as a couple other ways but, these 2 are the most readily available. It's highly organized and can be organized easily according to individual whims.

But, again, applications & CP items are found in two separate places, 2 different things.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It is better not to shut machines off frequently or for brief periods of time, like overnight. Important auto things, by default happen @ night. It is, also, easier on & better for electronics not to be powered on & off a lot. Also, is less time & less loading coming back from Sleep then cold starts. Letting machines just Sleep is ok or "Best Practice".

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 33947

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You do realize you both denied and ignored my concerns right? Strictly speaking I guess you're right, Control Panel items are not in applications, but Control Panel is, and what do you presume I might find within Control Panel? And what about all the extra items that appear in applications for which I would never have a use? Doesn't it seem logical that Medico's application toolbar would be far more effective? Also, with the desktop toolbar, is there any way to control what is turned into a menu and what is limited to a link? Also, is there any way to work in a jump list for any program or utility like there is with any recently used or pinned program in a Start 8 menu?
    For instance, Remote desktop is just a link in Applications window and I could not find it at all in Desktop toolbar, but it is of tremendous value to me pinned in the start menu with a jump list, and I most definitely do not want to pin it and other such programs and utilities to the taskbar because they both consume valuable taskbar space reserved for folders and running applications and detract from the organization and autohide nature of the start menu.

And if you would, please answer in a manner that considers that these techniques we are using have been refined over years and years of use. The applications window by comparison is dumbfoundingly inadequate as a replacement, and if one can't control the menu/link nature of the desktop toolbar and somehow include jumplists, it is merely not as adequate or refined.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Everyone take a breath. What was presented was an alternative to a third party application using built-in Windows functionality. There is no need to be hostile because it does not do what you want. The devices that we use are called PERSONAL for a reason. You get to choose how you use them and what programs you use. You are free to use it or not use it - whatever you see fit.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not the least bit upset, and if my wording is such that it appears hostile, I apologize to Drew and reader alike. I'm only trying to get a straight answer to what I feel are very pertinent points of usability, and nice, general discourse designed to flesh out the possible usability enhancements that I may have missed due to my inexperience with that approach, gets met with, that doesn't exist there, its over in another place (desktop toolbar), and completely ignoring the fact that I have about a dozen configuration modules and half a dozen language tutorials, some readme's and documentation listings and one that just says documentation. Can I clean that up using the applications window or can't I?

So two or three beats down the line, I'm trying to be more specific about my usability concerns with that approach, always with the understanding that I'm not writing for my own concern but for other readers who want the best possible interaction with their own computers in a world where Microsoft has turned the user interface upside down.

And done w/out any 3rd party add-ins. Together w/ Desktop Toolbar, yep, makes things really nice.
    I'm trying to give Drew the opportunity to prove that that quote is true. Tell me, and the rest of the readers what we're missing to make it really nice, because as is, I'm missing some things in that approach that I've already outlined. I would certainly mention or acknowledge shortcomings in any other approach including my own because I have no horse in the race, if its better, I'll use it, period, no loyalties, and the only way I can go wrong with that approach is if I'm a freak of nature who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Look, everything doesn't need to be made into an argument, something confrontational or 'seeming' to knock the other guy.

Plus, 1 man's art is another's rubbish, beauty's in the eye of the beholder, etc, etc. Maybe an idea or approach helps a particular need or want, maybe it doesn't.

I listened for months people bashing the Win8 Start screen & Tiles. IF, they were told about WinQ, they didn't like that display, either. They were complaining about Win8 UI & 'full screen' appearance & changing screens for things & whining about navigating Windows 8. But, seems, sometimes it comes down to 'damned if you do & damned if you don't'.

Anyway, for the above reasons & because it happens to work really nicely for me & many others (BUT, not necessarily ALL) the idea of having all conventional programs, utilities & Store APPs in an 'old school', traditional window on the desktop would be (more) likable to people (who didn't care for the Win8 'look' or intended method. A window they could have whatever style or arrangement they fancied.

It had, also, come to our attention that SOME did not know about the Desktop Toolbar or creating desktop shortcuts and not needing them to, actually, show on the screen; that people were not aware of the Power Users or System menu & therefore were complaining w/out reason or were complicating things cus of not knowing stuff was, already, @ their fingertips. Ergo, no tiles & no switching screens. If anyone, FOR THEM, can't see appeal to this approach, that's cool, do something else & carry on BUT, what another person likes is ok, too.

Ironically (maybe) I have set new installs up for clients offering these tips & w/out exception they have seen the 'sense', liked it & continued to use it... could just be coincidence.

And Joe, thanks for you comment... & no, that is not meant sarcastically.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Everyone take a breath.
    I'll suggest that the first people who need to take a breath are some of the moderators here. Taking down posts in their entirety that contain technical content is at best ham-handed. Taking them down without bothering to notify the poster at all, let alone specifying exactly how they violate specific site policies so that the infraction can be avoided in the future, is unacceptable.

The observation that "It is better not to shut machines off frequently or for brief periods of time, like overnight" is hardly responsive to my statement "I shut down the PC when I'm not going to be using it for a day or more" does not strike me as inappropriate or irrelevant. The observation that 'coming back from sleep' is often just about as stressful to components (in terms of thermal, mechanical, and even largely electrical aspects) as a cold boot is constitutes a direct, technical refutation of a far-too-broad generalization. The observation that some people don't particularly WANT things to operate on auto-pilot but prefer to decide for themselves when and how they occur is not only relevant but directly reflects the Windows Secrets patch editor's attitude toward Windows Update. And the observation that 'best practices' depend very strongly upon the way the computer is being used (rather than being some kind of fundamental truth) is also appropriate.

I've repeated the above rather than requested reinstatement of my original post, but would still appreciate the courtesy of a private and detailed explanation of what specific site policies caused it to be taken down rather than edited (which would have at least made the specific perceived problem areas clear). I do recognize that simply quietly eliminating posts is easier for moderators than handling them more specifically, but in my opinion the latter is the job they signed up for.

What was presented was an alternative to a third party application using built-in Windows functionality.
    That would have been fine had it not been accompanied by the assertion "yep, makes things really nice". That is a value judgment presented as fact, and it merits discussion if others see things differently.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    So if I'm interpreting correctly, and certainly correct me if this is not true (anyone), there is no way to set the condition of an item listed in the desktop toolbar to be either a link or a menu, and in applications window there is no way to "weed" or limit the list of applications to only those which one would use even occasionally, though honestly (not) I just can't stop thinking about that Catalan tutorial now. Is that a Chinese or Dreuid sub-dialect?

Anyway, I hope I've answered my questions correctly and thus ends the trips around and around the Maypole. I'd put up a Janpole but I think I frostbit one of my cheeks already today...not quite as pleasant outside as it was last year at this time!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    It is better not to shut machines off frequently or for brief periods of time, like overnight. Important auto things, by default happen @ night. It is, also, easier on & better for electronics not to be powered on & off a lot. Also, is less time & less loading coming back from Sleep then cold starts. Letting machines just Sleep is ok or "Best Practice".

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 33947
    This is no longer true. I've been turning off my computer overnight every day for over 10 years now and have never had a problem. Altough Windows has been getting much better at it, it also helps to reset it periodically. The boot once a day doesn't hurt productivity but its all individual preference. Also, any "auto" things Windows does will be done at idle times during the day.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    This is no longer true. I've been turning off my computer overnight every day for over 10 years now and have never had a problem.
    Many components do seem to be getting more reliable over time. For example, 50,000 start/stop cycles was until quite recently the typical spec for internal desktop disks (for laptop drives, which tend to sleep a lot more frequently, it might have been higher), which works out to a bit more than 1 per hour over the disk's nominal 5-year service life. I just noticed that a current Seagate desktop drive has upped the spec (well, it's now 'load/unload cycles') to 300,000, which is a lot more in line with MTBF/AFR figures even if the drive IS started once an hour.

In the days before use of relatively deep sleep states was common I suspect there was a legitimate tension between component longevity and energy savings attainable by powering down a machine when it wasn't going to be used for a few hours (at least in climates where household heating wasn't required nearly year-round). Nowadays components are designed for relatively frequent sleeping (do I recall correctly that WIn 8 Pro on a desktop by default goes to sleep if not used for a half-hour or so?) and as a result are also a lot more tolerant of frequent complete shut-downs.

Altough Windows has been getting much better at it, it also helps to reset it periodically.
    I did suggest this in the post that got deleted, but it's good to hear it from someone who most likely has a lot more experience with recent Windows versions than I do. NT started out by largely copying a system with excellent up-time characteristics (VMS) and has become quite respectable itself in that area, but - especially in desktop configurations - it still seems to have a way to go before typical up-times become measured in years and of course desktop applications are typically FAR less robust and benefit from relatively frequent restarts.