Thread: Fast Startup ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Fast Startup ?

Hello.
    I was curious and over the last week I did some tests with my Toshiba laptop. Having Fast Startup enabled, and the machine turned OFF, it drains the battery, 6.6 Wh, in two days, totally, like 0% left. When unchecking FS, after an overnight charge and a boot, the cell shows still 95% after 24 hours being on its own, no charging done. This was an 8 hour charge, and a full day of no use. Am I unto an undocumented quirk in W-8 concerning laptops specifically FS ? JP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're certainly correct to think that this behavior makes no sense. It should make no difference whatsoever to battery drain (without having an external power source connected) while the machine is shut down whether or not Fast Startup is enabled: hibernation (which is what Fast Startup is said to use) takes no power whatsoever to maintain, since the machine state has been captured on the (now itself shut down) hard disk for restoration after the next power-up.

What you're describing sounds a lot more like a 'sleep' state where the machine's RAM remains powered (and thus gradually drains the battery if no external power source is connected) while the processor, disk, and other peripherals are powered down (though some of them - including USB devices you may have attached - can, though usually by default do not, remain powered too during such a sleep, further contributing to battery drain).

If you're certain that you 'shut down' the laptop during this test there is indeed something awry. If you just closed its lid, then it's possible (though should probably not be its default behavior) that it chose to 'sleep' rather than 'hibernate' - though if you did exactly the same things both with and without having Fast Startup enabled there still should have been no difference in battery drain (BOTH would have drained it if it were just 'sleeping').

If someone else here has a laptop to experiment with (I don't have one that I'm willing to upgrade to Win8) that might shed more light on this issue.

Thanks
    I would try it, but my laptop is not turned off for these periods of time. Since this is my everyday PC, it would be turned on. What I will do is unplug it and turn it off with Fast Start enabled and see what the battery status is when I turn it back on. We are taking a day trip and will be gone for several hours. Perhaps this will tell me something. Later, I will do the same tonight (if I remember, the old noggin seems to like to forget intermittently) and see what things look like in the morning. Then tomorrow I will do the same with Fast Start disabled. 7 or 8 hours should be long enough to check this phenomena.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    - bill, good day to you.
    In this situation, I am only reporting what I have noticed. This was prompted by finding the battery fully drained a few times as I had shut down the Toshiba, not Hibernate nor Sleep. I understand what these two options do/do not. Next time that the battery is fully charged, I will extract it from its recess and then check it state after 24 hours, it might be defective but it is brand new, 10 days. I can do this with the Toshiba as it is not my main machine when at home.
    In Power Options, the lid closing is set to turn OFF the Toshiba, now this is also set to not use "Fast Startup". We are having fun ! Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, thanks for going to this trouble for me, and others. I sure found it strange to notice this behaviour. Awaiting your comeback in earnest. Have a safe trip. Jean.

Thanks
    Ok, here is what I get:

Fast Start enabled, battery at 100%, Shutdown PC. Laptop is unplugged during this test. 12 hours later turn on PC. Battery is at 95%. That's not bad. I am not sure what your problem might be JP. Perhaps your battery is going bad.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, thanks for trying it out. I am still testing things here, I have two batteries and will do both. The one that I questioned is brand new and as it was, I thought that I would test it. Sometimes new batteries are not up to snuff. I will insert the original battery and test it too. Further when all this is done and noted.
    Have a great evening. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Ted, thanks for trying it out. I am still testing things here, I have two batteries and will do both. The one that I questioned is brand new and as it was, I thought that I would test it. Sometimes new batteries are not up to snuff. I will insert the original battery and test it too. Further when all this is done and noted.
    Have a great evening. Jean.
    Lithium batteries have a shelf life - doesn't matter whether they have been in use or not. The useful life of a lithium battery begins on the day of manufacture. "New" may not be new.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello.
    I was curious and over the last week I did some tests with my Toshiba laptop. Having Fast Startup enabled, and the machine turned OFF, it drains the battery, 6.6 Wh, in two days, totally, like 0% left. When unchecking FS, after an overnight charge and a boot, the cell shows still 95% after 24 hours being on its own, no charging done. This was an 8 hour charge, and a full day of no use. Am I unto an undocumented quirk in W-8 concerning laptops specifically FS ? JP.
    Yes, and a seriously unacceptable quirk at that.
    It might be acceptable in an ultra portable device like an iPad, or a phone, where instant on is a must,
    but a laptop is an entirely different beast. It'll drain the battery worse than an iPad will drain it's battery.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I got to think of something here, I have the "Lid close" to Sleep. I wonder if when shutting down the Toshiba after selecting "Shut down" then closing the lid if it did not take precedence of the Shut Down ??? It would have stayed on Sleep all this time and drained the battery, maybe ??? I am now more careful and monitor what I do and what takes place, after two days, the battery is still at 95%, including two boots. Food for thought ! JP.

Thanks
    You very well might have shut the lid prior to the hybrid hibernation completing. That could explain the phenomena.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    By the way, it is a good idea to completely drain, then completely charge, your laptop battery from time to time, in order to maintain maximum capacity in the battery.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    By the way, it is a good idea to completely drain, then completely charge, your laptop battery from time to time, in order to maintain maximum capacity in the battery.
    The first two StartPage (Google middleman) hits I get for 'lithium-ion battery' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery and http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...on-battery.htm) state that this is not a good idea at all for the lithium-ion batteries typically used in laptops (though it can be for Ni-Cd and perhaps also Ni-MH batteries). I looked this up because it was my impression as well, but feel free to present more authoritative information to the contrary.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Ted.
    "You very well might have shut the lid prior to the hybrid hibernation completing. That could explain the phenomena. "

You might have hit it on the head, square ! I did further testing and after 3 days of Shut Down, I made sure that it was totally dead, the battery is still good at 70%. This is called live and learn.

As to the IE gone that you moved, I was there yesterday and I installed W-7 on that machine that had Vista. The sis-in-law is happy, so far. A full install ! Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well...is there anyone who is ever sad that Vista is replaced? It's like when the wicked witch dies or Leia strangles Jabba the Hutt!